What’s On(line): Week 2

Bored at home? The Culture team brings you yet another week of online events to enjoy

Hello everyone. It is week two and this means that The Cambridge Tab is back with even more things that you can do online this week.

1. Enjoy a Literature Podcast

Want to hear some poetry? Want some reading recommendations for the week to come? Love a good podcast? If you answered yes to any of these questions, Olivia Copeland’s podcast on CamFM has you covered. Every Sunday she reads aloud and discusses poems and novel extracts. Some are her personal favourites; some are suggested by listeners.  Heartily recommended for the literature lovers among you.

New podcast episodes come out every Sunday at 10pm on the CamFM website. Previous episodes are available to listen on demand.

2. Pay your weekly visit to a virtual theatre

National Theatre – Frankenstein with Benedict Cumberbatch

If you fancy an evening of classic horror look no further: this week, the National Theatre streams Frankenstein. But that’s not all. If you tune in, you would be able to witness Bannister Crumblebench as either the Creature or the creator, Victor Frankenstein (two performances will be available). Fans of the Cutiebatch will sure be in for a treat.

Streaming at 7pm on Thursday 30th until Thursday 7th. Check National Theatre website for further details.

3. Join the Footlights for a night of comedy

If the otter-looking actor doesn’t do it for you, the Footlights will be hosting an online smoker on Tuesday. So if you fancy some Cambridge-based comedy, make sure to give the virtual ADC a visit.

Performance are scheduled for Tuesday 5th of May. Visit the ADC website for more details, where free tickets can be booked.

4. Spectate, or take part in, a virtual drag event

In lieu of Glitterbomb no longer happening on Tuesdays, Queens’ JCR has set up Drag from a Distance. Every Tuesday they “shall be posting Lipsyncs from Queers and their peers every Tuesday in loving memory of Glitterbomb!” .

All details are on the  Facebook group page.

5. Attend a poetry evening

The Cambridge Poets’ Society are not letting the pesky virus stop them, and are continuing to host their poetry evenings. The next event shall be taking place on Wednesday the 5th. This time the prompt is KISS, so consider ‘zooming’ into the meeting or even sending in some submissions.

The poetry evening will take place on Wednesday the 5th at 8pm. To acquire the zoom link and details for submissions, please visit the event page.

Featured Image Credit: Alastair Lai