Image may contain: People, Teen, Blonde, Child, Woman, Female, Girl, Kid, Grass, Plant, Apparel, Clothing, Person, Human

What’s On: Week Four

Exciting things happening this week in Cambridge

Max:

1) Attend an art conference

To mark the fifth centenary of Leonardo da Vinci’s death, The Fitzwiliam Museum is hosting a range of talks on the iconic artist’s life and work. They explore a diverse range of topics, from Leonardo’s influence on the concept of ideal beauty, to the ways in which his work anticipated 21st Century thinking. I am really excited to learn more about how this artist is interwoven into our culture and still shapes many of our ideas and thoughts today.

“Leonardo da Vinci 1519-2019: Art, History, Science” will take place on Monday 4th November, 9.30am – 5pm at The Fitzwillliam Museum

2) Try a traditional Scottish dance

The Cambridge Union is hosting a ceilidh gathering this weekend, which anyone can attend. For those who don’t know, ceilidh is a super fun group dance, where you spin, slide and hop to traditional Scottish music. I think this will be a really great opportunity to meet new people and get a little bit of exercise at the same time.

Ceilidh will be held at the Cambridge Union on Saturday 2nd November, 8-10pm

3) Celebrate Bonfire Night in style

On Bonfire Night in Midsummer Common, Cambridge is hosting its free annual firework and bonfire display. I went last year and despite queuing 40 minutes in the freezing cold to eat a rather limp hot dog, I still had such a fun time. The fireworks were amazing and the bonfire was huge. Also, it seems like the entire city flocks to this event. It’s one of my favourite Cambridge traditions and I highly recommend!

The display will take place at Midsummer Common on Tuesday 5th November, 6-10pm

Joe:

4) Go and see Chicago at the ADC!

“Welcome ladies and gentlemen, you are about to see a story of murder, greed, corruption, violence, exploitation, adultery and treachery – all those things we all hold near and dear to our hearts.” – The opening line of Chicago suggests a uniquely macabre musical, in which vice and impropriety are celebrated. Set in the 1920s, Chicago promises to be a vibrant, captivating production, featuring jazz hits such as ‘All That Jazz’, ‘Razzle Dazzle’, and ‘Cell Block Tango’. If you want a murderously good night, this is for you.

Chicago opens at the ADC at 7:45pm on Tuesday 5th November and runs until Saturday 9th

5) Gorge yourself at the Cambridge International Food Festival

The quality of cooking for the average Cambridge student is fairly dubious. I’ll readily admit that my cooking is far from the level I’d want it to be. However, the Cambridge International Food Festival stands to prove that there are, in fact, plenty of talented student chefs in Cambridge. Combining various International Societies, the food festival offers an array of cuisines from Indian to Italian to Hungarian to Chinese. If this isn’t enough to excite your palate – entry to the event costs only £6!

The Cambridge International Food Festival takes place on Saturday 9th November from 6:10pm – 8:30pm at St Andrew’s Street Baptist Church

6) Do some wine-tasting

If you like wine, you're undoubtedly going enjoy the Cambridge Winter Wine-Tasting event by Three Wine Men! There are unlimited samples on offer and lots of discounted prices on bottles of wine – it’s certainly a good way to stock up for the rest of term! If you’re not a massive fan of wine, this event has a gin-tasting section too …

The Three Wine Men Cambridge Winter Wine-Tasting is taking place on Saturday 9th November from 1pm – 8pm at The Guildhall