Image may contain: Hair, Smile, Plant, Grass, Sport, Soccer, Team Sport, Football, People, Soccer Ball, Team, Ball, Sports, Apparel, Clothing, Human, Person, Face, Accessory, Glasses, Accessories, Skin, Head

‘C-Sunday Clean Up Party’ to follow this year’s celebrations

Aggressively wholesome content? Look no further.

#cambridge city council #cusu #cusu ethical affairs #jcr green officer C-Sunday Caesarian Sunday Drinking Societies

Jesus' JCR Green Officer, Suzannah Lindley, has initiated a 'clean up party' for the evening of C-Sunday: the most wholesome alternative to Life humanly possible (#fact).

Image may contain: Paper, Page, Document, License, Driving License, Text

The original Facebook clean-up event. At time of writing, 334 students were either 'Interested' or 'Going'.

For Cambridge students who survive the 'festivities' of C-Sunday – and haven't been put to bed by their friends by 6pm – litter-picking on Jesus Green is not the traditional way to see out the celebrations. Through the work of Suzannah Lindley, alongside CUSU President Evie Aspinall and CUSU Ethic Affairs Officers Jake Simms and Alice Gilerdale, there are big plans for that to change this year.

It's unsurprising that C-Sunday proves such a catalyst for the town/gown divide in Cambridge. Fighting, circus tricks, alcohol, angry Grudegbridge posts, more alcohol. You name it, we've got it. All on our very own Jesus Green.

Perhaps the most overlooked element of C-Sunday is, however, is the ubiquitous litter which results from our celebrations – a mammoth cleanup responsibility which invariably falls to the local Council. This is something which Suzannah was particularly motivated to target, saying: "In general as students I don't think we are as mindful of the Cambridge community as we should be, which is something I really hope starts to change." Through the clean-up effort being encouraged on Sunday evening, the organisers hope to "use this to encourage students to be aware of their impact on a community which extends way beyond the student population."

Particularly with the recent declaration of a climate emergency by the UK government – and, at a local level, by the Cambridge city council – the council are being understandably proactive in their approach to C-Sunday celebrations, with six extra general waste bins being put out throughout the day. To further these efforts, the college Green Officers are also placing recycling bags next to the main bins.

Image may contain: Tree, Teen, Bush, Outdoors, Lawn, Park, Female, Vegetation, Shorts, People, Barefoot, Apparel, Clothing, Diaper, Smile, Face, Grass, Plant, Person, Human

C-Sunday can be wholesome!!! No litter, just love (Photo source: Edan Simpson)

However, none of the clean-up or environmental protection efforts will be possible without the co-operation of the student body. During the celebrations, attendees should be careful to pick up their rubbish during the day, put it in the appropriate bins or, failing that, take it home with them.

It's easy to forget that C-Sunday doesn't end when Sunday Life begins (although, let's be real, who ever really makes it to Life). Most importantly, the clean up efforts this Sunday reflect the cultural and political climate which increasingly encourages us to cultivate, not exploit, our environment and communities.

Want to write about your experiences on, or opinions about, C-Sunday? Message The Tab Cambridge Facebook page to write for us!

Similar articles:

What is C-Sunday?

Best Dressed at C-Sunday in 2018

All the reasons you deserve to get drunk this C-Sunday

Cover image source: Edan Simpson