Cambridge University reveals almost 20 per cent gender pay gap

Salary disparity is 19.6 per cent per hour

| UPDATED Hide Images

Figures just released by the University of Cambridge highlight a significant pay gap between male and female employees at the institution, with a current difference of 19.6 per cent.

The data was requested by the Government Equalities Office on April 6th 2017, who obliged employers to publish mean and median averages of the gender pay and gender bonus pay gaps, the proportion of men and women receiving bonuses, and the proportion of men and women in each quartile of the organisation’s pay structure . Employers faced a fine of if they did not report by the 31st March deadline (for Public Sector companies) or the 5th April (for businesses and charities.)

Writing in the preface to the Gender Pay Gap Report, Vice Chancellor Professor Stephen Toope commented that: 'Our figures show there is more work for us to do. We are committed to taking action to close the gender pay gap as quickly as possible.'

VC Stephen Toope writes in the Gender Pay Gap Report

Last year The Tab reported on the 2015-2016 reduction of the gender pay gap; figures stood at 20.2 per cent in favour of male employees. This change represents a closing of the gap by 0.6 per cent over one year.

In a dedicated FAQ section on the University of Cambridge website, several concerns over the gender pay gap are addressed. It attributes the inequality to under-representation of women at senior levels, and explains that the University has already improved salary imbalances through a range of initiatives, including encouraging women to apply to more senior positions through the Senior Academic Promotions CV Scheme and a University-wide mentoring scheme, supporting female academics working in STEM subjects by the Athena SWAN Silver Award, and improving employees' work-life balance with emergency childcare, the Returning Carers Scheme, and the The Supporting Parent and Carers at Cambridge (SPACE) network.

Data also revealed that significant variation in the gender pay gap exists at different management levels. Whilst only 36.1% of employees paid a 'top quartile' salary are female, with 63.9% male, this figure is reversed in pay for lower quartile pay, with 61.4% of employees female, and 38.6% male.

The pay gap varied between different pay quartiles

Although marginally more women received bonus pay (20.8 per cent of employees, compared to 18.3 per cent men) , women received a mean average of 63 per cent less bonus pay, which translated as a median average of 17.2 per cent lower than the value of male bonus pay.

The University has pledged to reduce gender salary disrepancies, although no specific numerical aims have yet been announced.

The University of Cambridge has been contacted for comment.