Cambridge set to build underground transport network

Those West Cambridge commutes could become slightly less painful

Hide Images

Cambridge could be getting an underground transport network, consisting of two tunnels, in order to combat congestion.

The Greater Cambridge Partnership (GCP) has announced it will investigate the possibility of a two tunnel underground transport system, running North-South and East-West.

In partnership with the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority, the GCP are analysing how best to alleviate the city’s chronic congestion, as well as improving links with the surrounding area.

Councillor Lewis Herbert, a senior board member of the GCP has said: “We’ve got no assurance it will go ahead at this stage but it’s certainly getting serious analysis and one of the elements of that underground study is to consider whether a North-South and an East-West combination is viable and deliverable.”

The West Cambridge site is a proposed terminus for the West line

Herbert proposed locating the centre of the network at Parker’s Piece, while also advocating the West Cambridge site as a possible terminal for the East-West line. Whether the tunnels will run on light rail or buses in still unknown, however Combined Authority Mayor James Palmer favours a light rail network.

The finalised report on public transport is set to be released on Friday, with the GCP and Combined Authority expected to announce their findings on the underground system this December.

Councillor Herbert as assured residents GCP will not cover full cost of the network with private sector investment being courted to fill the gap: “This is a critical transport corridor that will unlock growth, bring homes, jobs and access for people to the opportunities in Cambridge.”