What’s On Week Five!

Slim pickings this week, but no excuses not to put down that revision and head out for some fun in the Culture sun

Arts Picturehouse Cambridge Junction Watersprite Week Five Week Five Blues what's on

THEATRE

Laughing Fitz, Saturday 24th May, 8.30pm @ Fitz Bar

If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like slightly further up the hill, or have yet to check out the mysterious new Sports Hall exam location is (rumour has it it’s been sighted in the area) then hop on your bike and head over to this other part of town. The lineup is stellar, the event is free, and the jokes will be flowing thick and fast.

Utterly hilarious.

FILM

Blue Ruin, Saturday 24th May, 12.15pm & Monday 26th May, 6.15pm @ Arts Picturehouse

As if you don’t have enough stress on your plate this week, why not take an uplifting break from that revision and go and get your fix of an American revenge thriller? Blue Ruin is the award-winning story of a spectacularly bearded outsider taking revenge on his parents’ killer, but who gets caught up in a ‘twitchy but brutal game of cat and mouse’ with his gun-crazed redneck family as a result. Critics have loved it, calling ‘unbearably tense’, ‘thrillingly grim’, and even ‘Hitchcockian’. Not one to miss.

A Place in the Sun (1951) – Sunday 25th May 1.00pm – Arts Picturehouse

Thanks in part to TV schedulers everywhere, lazy Sunday afternoons and classic films go hand-in-hand. This Sunday, leave those pyjamas on and slump on over to the Picturehouse where they’ll be screening George Stevens’ 1951 classic A Place in The Sun. On the one hand it’s a dark social drama, on the other a fiery romance. It’s also a remake of Josef von Sternberg’s 1931 flop, showing that half-decent reboots are not necessarily a 21st century invention. 

He has spotted the beer #lad

MUSIC

Blair Dunlop, Monday 26th May, Junction @ 8pm, £9

When Blair’s not busy making high quality tyres and tennis rackets, he enjoys long walks on the beach, reading original Islamic manuscripts and playing beautiful melodic acoustic guitar and singing. Only one of those bio facts is true… head to the Junction this Monday to find out which.

Paloma Faith, Saturday 24th May @ Corn Exchange, SOLD OUT

Paloma’s been sold out for weeks – Soz. But we heard a rumour that if you wait outside The Cow all night you will see her if you have enough faith. True story.

Song of the week:

Europe – The Final(s) Countdown

ELSEWHERE

Not strictly something to do, but something to think about if you haven’t already. Watersprite, the Cambridge International Student Film Festival, closes its applications TODAY (23rd May) – and if you haven’t thought about applying, you should get on it fast. They’re recruiting for: Festival Director, Head of Awards, Head of Events, Head of Finance & Sponsorship, Head of Marketing. If any of those takes your fancy, put down your flashcards and start crafting your CV. Head to apply.watersprite.org.uk to find out more and submit your application for the chance to rub shoulders with the likes of Jim Broadbent, Olivia Coleman and the people who made Gollum…

It’s so glam and fun, why wouldn’t you get involved?