Crucifixion Chaos

A man posing as Jesus Christ on the Cross has spent Good Friday stationed outside King’s Chapel.

Christianity crucifixion easter day falun gong good friday jesus protest religion tim squirrell

A man has braved freezing cold conditions in Cambridge this Good Friday by standing on King’s Parade – posing as Jesus Christ on the Cross.

(Credit: Gareth Rhys)

The young male, dressed in nothing but what appears to be a white sheet and spattered in fake blood, has been attached to a cross in front of King’s Chapel for several hours, The Tab understands.

A sign below him reads: “LOOK WHAT JESUS HAD FOR EASTER” before referring passers-by to a website.

Carwyn Willis, coordinator of the event that he himself has dubbed ‘Crucifixion Chaos’, said: “We want to give the public something to think about this Easter by presenting the hard hitting image of Jesus covered in blood, whipped and bruised on the cross, just as it would have been.”

This section of pavement, positioned as it is in front of the iconic King’s Chapel, is no stranger to extreme sights. Practitioners of the Chinese spiritual discipline Falun Gong can often be seen in the same spot on weekends.

In 2004, members of the group protested against the Communist persecution of practitioners of Falun Gong by posing as tortured prisoners.

Falun Gong supporters protest against Chinese persecution of practitioners in 2004

Today’s stunt has invoked mixed reactions amongst Cambridge students. Alex Greaves, President of Cambridge’s Christian Union (CICCU), told The Tab: “I don’t think this is the most helpful way to get across the Christian message, and it is probably inappropriate in a public space.”

In defence of the stunt, however, he added, “I find it far less ridiculous than a giant, anthropomorphised bunny and a sanitised Easter devoid of reference to Jesus’s death – which is fundamental not just to Easter but to the whole Christian faith.”

Tim Squirrell, The Tab‘s Deputy Debate Editor, said: “It seems like a classic, albeit unusually visceral example of religious groups attempting to reclaim holidays amidst a perceived downturn in religiosity and upward trend in materialism.”