Condom Overload for the £9k Freshers

Record numbers of condoms are being issued to this year’s freshers as part of a new CUSU initiative.

The pilot scheme, which begins this academic year, entitles students to as many as 60 free condoms every ten weeks.

This means that if every fresher used their full allocation, they’d get through almost a million of their rubbery friends this year.

However, CUSU  has denied reports that they forked out £5,000 in funding in order to buy 9,000 condoms for the pilot.

CUSU will certainly be keeping the party going in this department…

CUSU are also handing out C-Cards, which allow students to anonymously pick up free condoms from a number of central locations, including Superdrug and Boots.

Chris Page, CUSU Welfare Officer, said: “We have certainly bought a very high number of condoms – it’s a record.

“The scheme is completely anonymous. We scan the card when you pick up the packs but do not take people’s names, which is good for those who get embarrassed buying them.

“I hope the scheme will encourage students to take their C-Card with them every time they go out.

“In the few days of term we have had so far I have received a positive response from students. Lots of students are signed up.”

This year’s CUSU handbook also includes a smorgasbord of sexual apparatus, with condoms, dental dams, vegan condoms and sachets of lube available to buy.

But Cambridge already has an incredible track record when it comes to contraception, with not a single student being forced to abandon their degree through pregnancy in recent years, according university bosses.