John’s Chocolate Cock-Up

John’s have been accused of “equating female experience with Dairy Milk” after giving female students chocolate to mark International Women’s Day.

Caitlin Doherty Chocolate College dairy milk Feminism feminist international women's day JCR julian parmer Ladies misogynistic offensive st johns women

St John’s have caused a stir after giving women chocolates to celebrate International Women’s Day. 

John’s marked yesterday’s occasion by handing out the treats in ribbon-wrapped boxes to all women who entered the buttery during meal times.

But while intentions were good, some students found the gesture offensive.

Caitlin Doherty, a John’s third year, told The Tab: “I’m both a woman, and a fan of chocolate. But, though this may come as a surprise John’s, I don’t see any particular link between those two facts.

“It would have been more appropriate if the college had taken some steps to raise an issue such as the college culture of misogynistic ‘banter’. Instead, they’ve made an embarrassingly ignorant gesture that looks like they equate expression of female experience with Dairy Milk.”

Julian Parmar, another Johnian third year, said: “Not only is John’s failing to realise the point of International Women’s Day, but they are actively pushing the opposing message – ‘There there love, don’t worry about gender inequality – have some chocolate instead.'”

But some students were less critical. John’s second year Amy Lonton-Rawsthorne told The Tab: “I think the chocolates are about saying that we value women, for their part in our society. It is a message of gratitude and appreciation.”

But she added: “Equally, it is gender equality we should be fighting for and this gesture does somewhat unhelpfully exclude men and perhaps even trivialise the feminist debate.”

John’s JCR President Flick Osborn responded to the controversy, saying: “The chocolates were a gesture of goodwill by the catering & conference department, on behalf of the St John’s Women’s Society, to show some recognition of International Women’s Day.

“It was not a comment on female status or experience. IWD celebrates women and their achievements as well as raising awareness about on-going equality issues throughout the world; this was just a small way of giving Johnian ladies a bonus with their meals.”

John’s can at least be praised for making an effort. Many other colleges did nothing to mark the occasion.

And not all were offended by the chocolaty treats. Florence Prevezer, a second year at John’s, told The Tab: “To be honest, I didn’t read too much into it. A chocolate’s a chocolate. If it’s free, even better!