Theatre Guide Dog: Week 2

THE THEATRE GUIDE DOG growls with rare approval at some ambitious theatre this week.

Ami Jones Brecht Elektra footlights smoker greek ice Max Upton mother courage and her children of ICE and men rookie theatre guide dog thyestes women in comedy

Dust off your rotten fruit and polish your laurels, kids! ‘Cause Cambridge theatre is getting serious culture this week. In theory, anyway. The ADC and Corpus are tackling some big boys, and are probably spending filthy filthy amounts as we speak.

Of ICE and Men – 30th January only

For those who dare look comedy and improvisation in the face. Simultaneously.

Corpus Playroom, 9.30pm £5-6

Elektra – 31st January-4th February

The female counterpart in the Greek couple this week, ancient Greek tragedy meets clinically insane modernist poet. Exciting stuff.

Corpus Playroom, 7pm £5-6

Mother Courage and Her Children – 31st January-4th February

A play about the devastating greed and consumption of war appears to have been ironically devastating the ADC of all resources these past couple of weeks. Maybe it’s meta.

ADC, 7.45pm £6-10

Rookie – 31st January-4th February

Six women decide to do comedy and hope the novelty of their gender will distract people from that fact that, well, the majority of them aren’t actually established comedians. Oh well – cue endless snide feminist jokes.

Corpus Playroom, 9.30pm £5-6

Footlights Smoker – 31st January only

Things can only go upward after last week’s atrocious showdown with Leeds and Bristol, so book now!

ADC, 11pm £6-7

Thyestes – 1st-4th February

More Greek murder, revenge and plotting – but this time with more penis.

ADC, 11pm £4-6