Cowboys and Aliens

QUENTIN BEROUD enjoys the combination of big, goey aliens and cowboys in silly hats in Cowboys and Aliens.

cowboys and aliens Daniel Craig Film harrison ford Hollywood john favreau olivia wilde quentin beroud

Directed by John Favreau

[rating: 3.5/5]

The title of this film says it all. If you see it and think ‘Best. Idea. Ever.’ (the presence of Daniel Craig/Olivia Wilde will no doubt help) then go. If, on the other hand, you assume it will be ridiculous nonsense, then don’t.

Both viewpoints are entirely correct, of course. This film is utterly stupid, yet just a little bit brilliant. Don’t, however, go in expecting a spoof of either genre. Director John Favreau steers well clear of any epic movie-esque pitfalls, instead playing it totally straight, trusting that the central joke of the film will be enough to carry it through. This allows for some surprisingly touching moments, and gives the stellar cast something to get their teeth into.

Daniel Craig is quickly establishing himself as Hollywood’s leading British actor, and is perfect in the role of tough cowboy Jake Lonergan. The ‘strong silent type’, Craig could do in his sleep, but he gives the part enough humour and intensity to avoid looking typecast. He clearly doesn’t take himself too seriously either (his ridiculous hat is ample proof of that) and his performance can be read either as a straight-faced send up or as a fitting tribute to the lonesome cowboys that have preceded him. Much like the film itself, in fact.

A movie like this was always going to have a pretty dodgy script, but who better to growl his way through the most clichéd lines than Harrison Ford, perfectly cast as the classic-Western-baddie-turned-alien-killer. Olivia Wilde, meanwhile, is just lovely. Her role grows more complicated as the film goes on, too, so that she more than holds her own with her illustrious co-stars.

Ultimately though, this film will pull in crowds with the promise of cowboys and aliens beating the hell out of each other. On this it pretty much delivers, though Favreau has clearly forgotten the rule that the longer you don’t see the creature, the scarier it is. Once all has been revealed, the aliens lose a lot of their menace, and the film suffers as a result. That is not to say that it isn’t fun, and the final battle is suitably bloody, with bodies of both species flying around amid Apache cries and pistol shots.

If you want an enjoyably silly summer blockbuster, with guns and hunks and pretty girls (and big, gooey aliens), then this is certainly for you. But you might be surprised how much you end up caring for the characters. Well, ok, you won’t. But they sure do shoot up aliens good.

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdmupNxobP0