Spanish Squash Assassin Caught In Cam

A keen Squash playing Spanish native was arrested in Cambridge yesterday for the attempted assassination of the Spanish King in 1997.

arresst assassin basque Cambridge cyril macq eta king juan carlos spain squash

A Spanish man was arrested in Cambridge on Thursday in connection with an attempted assassination of the King of Spain.

Eneko Gogeaskoetxea Arronategui’s complicated name proved no hindrance to his arrest by armed officers from the Cambridge and Metropolitan police services at 8.55 am on Thursday morning.

He was arrested on suspicion of a large number of offences, including the attempted assassination of the King Juan Carlos of Spain in 1997. Arronategui is thought to be a member of Spanish terrorist group ETA, who have been blamed for more than 800 deaths during their 42-year campaign for Basque independence.

Arronategui had been living in Cambridge under the deceptive pseudonym ‘Cyril Macq’. He was a keen Squash player and a member of the Cambridge Squash Club’s first team.

Steven Casey, chair of the Cambridge Squash Club, expressed his shock at ‘Macq’s double life and said of his team member: “We talked a lot about life, our children and squash. I got the sense he spent all his spare time playing squash. He was a superfit guy.”

Cyril Macq, circled, with Squash buddies from the Cambridge club

Arronategui was known as a family man, who lived with his two young children and wife on Humphreys Road. His neighbour David Lochrie, 44, said: “I’m really shocked and surprised. You never know who is living in your street.”

Despite his unassuming character, ‘Macq’ is alleged to have led a shocking previous life as a militant separatist in Spain. Aside from the attempted assassination of the King, he is accused of the murder of a police officer, possession of ammunition, and the forgery of public documents.

King Juan Carlos of Spain, who Arronategui allegedly targeted

According to the Spanish authorities, Arronategui carried out the attempted assassination of King Juan Carlos while dressed as a gardener. One witness said he: “stooped whilst in the Guggenheim [museum] gardens, filling garden window boxes with ammunition for grenade launchers.” He later shot the officer attempting his arrest and stole three cars before making a speedy escape.

Arronategui faced an extradition hearing yesterday afternoon.