Interview: Caprice

SIANA BANGURA has a chat with the ‘queen of the undie-world’, model-turned-businesswoman CAPRICE.

Cambridge Union Caprice Come Dine With Me FHM interviews lingerie supermodels underwear

It’s very easy to decide that somebody who regularly appears in FHM, injects herself with botox, and uses lip-fillers is an idiot. I always thought she was just famous for being famous. But Caprice’s determination, honesty and genuine drive for her venture charmed me out of my cynicism in our face-to face encounter.

Cappers (as she likes to be called) has moved from being one of the most photographed women in Europe to becoming a ‘credible’ business woman. So, how did she make it? “I’m a business woman because I had an idea,” she says. “I invested my money, I worked my touchie off, and I made it work through one of  the hardest economic downturns in all of our lives.”

I ask her if the reception she receives from men is the same as from women now that she isn’t just a model but ‘By Caprice’ an international brand name. She says: “It’s been a huge evolution for me. When I was modelling… my fan base was all male.” I give her that look. She laughs.

“But… I guess after I stopped taking off my kit, the tables turned a bit. Now I have so many female fans. A lot of them are wearing my brand and they’re understanding how difficult it is, and they are sort of looking up to me. I’m from a very humble background, I’ve made something of my life, and my fans respect me for it. They now buy my product.” I gave her that look again. I’m unconvinced.

Caprice is adamant that her clothes’ brand is aimed at ordinary women who shop on the high street. “I’m mass market, and so that’s what I appeal to and that’s who I make my clothes for,” she tells me. “I make my garments for women of different sizes – women who may not have a figure like mine. I have various different fits of models because everybody has different bodies and I want everybody to look good. I want to empower my women.”

Caprice is turning 40 this October, and, for someone whose appearance was so fundamental to their career, it must be particularly significant. She speaks of empowerment, but clearly her looks are still important to her; she claims she works out five times a week, tries to keep to a vegan diet, and takes 51 vitamins and supplements every day. There is no mention of Botox or plastic surgery.

She tells me she feels better now than she did when she was 20 and that she doesn’t miss the days when she had to be always ready for the next photo. “I’m in a really good place right now. I’ve had a good evolution; I’ve moved from being the FHM babe to being an almost 40 year old credible business woman.”

“What’s your final piece of advice for people who want to make their mark in business?” I ask.

She smiles, looks straight at me and says: “Half of the battle is in your head. Believe you can do it and you can bloody well do it. I have this American mentality: you have to keep going regardless of anything. And don’t be greedy; give the people a really good product, believe in your product, and surround yourself with good people. Take care of them and take care of your brand.”

Finally, I’d ask if there was any truth in a rumour I’d heard: “Can we look forward to you becoming the new Governor of California any time soon?”

In good old Cappers style, she laughs, straightens her face, and says: “Hell NO.”