Cam Band’s Big Break

Cantab Chris Wilson has reached the semi-finals of national competition ‘Live and Unsigned’, and could perform at the O2 if he makes it to the finals.

Cantab chris wilson Cindies competition festivals fitzwilliam guitar Indie Jeff Carpenter live and unsigned London mike wilson Music o2 Piano record deal rosy semi-finals st johns taio cruz tour

Cambridge student Chris Wilson could win a record deal after making it to the semi-final of a national music contest.

Chris Wilson and his band will perform in the semi-final of the Live and Unsigned competition on Sunday 15th May, hoping to make it to the final in London’s O2 arena.

If they win the final, Chris will get a record contract as well as several festival gigs and a UK tour.

Singer and keyboard player Chris Wilson, a Land Economist fresher at Fitzwilliam, plays his own unique brand of indie-pop with influences ranging from Coldplay to Eminem and everything in between.

Chris’ two-man backing band are also both Cantabs. Bassist Mike Wilson, Chris’ brother, is a second year at St John’s, while drummer Laurie Lewis is a fresher at Fitz.

Despite only getting together this year, Chris and his band have managed to make it into the semi-finals of Live and Unsigned, Britain’s largest national music competition for unsigned artists.

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2XmT4LekaM&feature=player_profilepage

Chris Wilson performing “Rosy” and  Taio Cruz’s “Dynamite” in the last round of the competition

Bassist Mike Wilson told The Tab: “We were surprised to have made it through to the semi-finals as there are so many great acts, but we’ve taken confidence from it and hopefully we can perform well in the next round.

“If we won we would hope to generate greater interest and exposure, and ideally have an opportunity to promote some of our own songs.”

Chris Wilson isn’t the only Cantab to have a crack at the competition. Trinity Hall’s Jeff Carpenter also entered the competition but was knocked out in the regional rounds.

Even if Wilson doesn’t win the competition, he and his band can take comfort from their local success. Last term Chris’ cover of  “Eyes Wide Shut”, by Tinie Tempah and JLS, was played in Cindies, undoubtedly the centre of the Cambridge music scene.

The Tab wish Chris and co. the best of luck in the semi-finals!