Liz and Phil Visit Cam

The Queen and Prince Philip today visited Kings College as part of Cambridge’s 800th Anniversary celebrations. Videos and Photos here.

The Queen and Prince Philip today visited Kings College as part of Cambridge’s 800th Anniversary celebrations.

Her Majesty was looking majestic in an all peach ensemble reminiscent of Helen Mirren.

Cambridge alumnus James Winward returned specially for the event and commented that the Queen looked “choong. By which I mean mighty fine.”

The Queen arrives at King's College as part of Cambridge's 800 Year Annivesary Celebrations.

Prince Phillip was showing his thrifty side after greeting crowds sporting a safety pin to keep his tie in place instead of a tie clip.

Hospital worker David O'Doherty, 28, of Cambridge, who watched the  Royal's arrive, said: “It's nice to see Phillip doesn't need to have everything gold plated.

“Everyone was surprised, it makes a change if they're saving us money. He'll be shopping in Primark next.”

princephil

The visit was accompanied by a strong security presence, with a number of police officers guarding the area. The Tab's reporter was denied entry after failing to gain security clearance. Bikes were not allowed on King's Parade and bins were covered in the security operation.

The Royal couple travelled to Kings College to attend a formal lunch for long-serving employees. The 100 longest-serving employees of the University, along with their guests, were invited to attend, with an average of more than 39 years service to the University.

The University is one of the few institutions which claim the ancient right to present addresses to the monarch, the right having existed since the reign of Elizabeth I.

In her response to the address Her Majesty said: "This is a wonderful occasion on which to reflect on the enormous contribution that Cambridge University has made to the life and well-being of this country, and many others throughout the world during the last eight centuries."

Finally, Elizabeth sealed the final box in a set of eight archive boxes containing 800 "Letters to the Future". The letters – one for each year of the University's history – have been written by University staff and students and will be read in 100 years time.

The Queen also designated a new Regis Professorship of Botany to Sir David Baulcombe, currently botany professor at Trinity College.