Downing sink Jesus in Uni Fours

A broken rudder sends Jesus crashing out of Uni Fours against rivals Downing on the first day

downing jcbc jesus Rowing uni fours

Jesus yesterday became the first major casualty of the University Fours races as Downing breezed through to the quarter finals.

A broken rudder for Jesus as they came around Grassy corner put paid to their chances of winning the first major title of the year on the river. 

The University Fours sees the colleges race the traditional ‘Head Course’ from the motorway bridge down to near the Chesterton Bridge, with crews starting about 50 metres apart in one-on-one knockout races.

In the other first division races Peterhouse M1 (Men’s 1st boat) beat Tit Hall’s M2 by 22 seconds, Trinity’s M2 beat Selwyn M1 by 19s and Tit Hall’s M1 came home 22 seconds ahead of the Fitzwilliam M2.

Jesus, who began the season winning the Autumn Head and repeated that success at the Huntingdon Head last weekend, will be disappointed that they couldn’t take the clean sweep of fours races. Next week most colleges begin training in eights in preparation for Fairbairns.

Jesus coach Mark Beer was philosphical: “Obviously we’re not happy to be out of Uni Fours on the first day, but there’s not much you can do about a broken rudder. Sometimes things just go wrong – that’s racing!”

Downing cox Ben Goodchild said he was glad to have avoided the clumps of leaves in the river which broke the Jesus rudder: we too had a really rough time getting around Grassy but somehow managed to keep the boat in the race.

“We’re really looking forward to the rest of the week, racing against some big fours”.

Tomorrow’s Uni Fours, which continues until the finals on Friday, sees the remaining Division 1 men’s crews racing from 14.00 (including the fancied crews of Cauis and Fitz) and the women’s 1st Division going off from 15.25.

Jesus’ rugby players will hope to take some revenge for yesterday’s defeat when they face Downing at 2.15 today (Tuesday).