Oxford Brookes University postpones graduation 2021

The university will host online celebrations this year instead

Oxford Brookes have emailed students today to confirm that in-person graduation will not go ahead this year.

In the email, the university said: “We feel it is very important for you to have the opportunity to celebrate your achievements this year, given the considerable challenges you have faced. The University will therefore be hosting an online celebration for you and your guests in early July 2021. This will be followed by on-campus graduation ceremonies, which will take place no earlier than 2022.”

The email went on to say: “Due to the ongoing and unpredictable nature of the pandemic, we are unable to be more specific about the date for your physical graduation at the current time. The safety of all those attending is paramount, and is driving our plans. Indeed, the format and size of on-campus graduations may need to change in the future so we can ensure the safety of everyone attending. We will continue to update you as the situation becomes clearer.

“In a similar way to traditional graduation ceremonies, you and your guests will be invited to attend an online celebration organised specifically for students in your Faculty, with speeches from the Vice-Chancellor and the Students’ Union. We are planning lots of other elements to make the online celebration special and we will share more details about these when we invite you to register in April via a new Graduations Class of 2021 webpage.

“The University will make a decision later this year about whether we can safely have Class of 2021 graduation ceremonies in 2022 and we will share this decision by email.”