Brookes will definitely have a real life graduation next year, Union President confirms

Don’t worry, you won’t just have a virtual graduation

Yesterday, Brookes sent out a Google form for everyone due to be graduating this year to help them decide if they wanted their graduation to be done virtually or for them to have their graduation in 2021 instead.

Naturally, after at least three years of working towards a degree and the majority of people’s last year being cut short due to the pandemic, everyone had a bit of a freak out.

However, Harry Bower, current Brookes Union president has taken to the Overheard at Brookes University Facebook page to confirm that there was a significant typing error on the form and that actually, Oxford Brookes were offering both a virtual graduation to celebrate the achievements of students this year but also a physical graduation in 2021.

Bower left this comment on a status put up by a student reacting to the form sent, to salvage mistakes made yesterday.

Bower also put up a video onto the Overheard at Brookes University Facebook page and explained the error in his weekly round-up of answering questions students have had over the past week about things to do with university, called ‘Five questions in five minutes”.

In the video, Bower says: “Today you’ll have received an email with a survey in it about graduations this summer and next summer, if you’re a final year student anyway. Just to clarify this is not talking about cancelling your physical graduation, this is a survey to find out about what shape a physical and virtual graduation should take. So the university are currently planning on hosting a virtual graduation this summer and being able to attend the graduation next year so we can celebrate your achievements this year, when you should’ve been graduating but without robbing you of the experience of wearing a cap and gown and accepting your certificate on stage next year.”

“So this survey is really to inform what both events should look like so please fill it in, let the university know your opinion but don’t worry, you’ll still be able to get that photo of throwing your hat in the air next year.”