DJ Derek’s family fear the worst following discovery of human remains near Cribbs Causeway

He rode the 76 bus to Cribbs Causeway on the day of his disappearance

UPDATE: Police have confirmed they believe the body that’s been found is DJ Derek.

The family of 73-year-old DJ Derek are worried that human remains found near Cribbs Causeway on Thursday evening belong to him.

Despite an extensive search campaign led by the family, they fear their efforts may have come to an end.

The police have told reporters it’s still too early to say that the remains belong to Derek Serpell-Morris, but the family are almost certain that they do belong to the 73-year-old Bristolian.

Jennifer Griffiths, Derek’s great niece, said that after hearing the news she was “convinced it was him.” adding that she has “spoken to the rest of the family and we all feel the same way.”

Derek frequently caught the 76 bus service up to Cribbs Causeway, he did so on the day of his disappearance, and so the discovery of the remains at a point on this route have prompted the family to believe they belong to him.

Despite marking an end to their suffering, the family are now having to face the reality of dealing with the possibility of his death. Jennifer said: “It just feels that we wasted all that time looking in the wrong places when he was there all the time.”

She added: “We are all sitting here expecting the worse.” 

The supposed human remains were discovered near the junction between Merlin Road and Highwood Road on Thursday evening in a area of woodland.

Avon and Somerset Police are now carrying out a full investigation of the area, and a police cordon has been put in place.

A spokesperson said that: “Our enquiries are at a very early stage so we’re unable to go into any more detail at the moment. It is far too early for any kind of positive identification.”

This comes less than a week after the family’s decision to apply to have Derek presumed legally deceased.