This fresher is cycling halfway across the world over the summer

What are you doing with your life?

While you’re downing your ninth can of Strongbow Dark Fruit in the muddy corner of whichever festival you’ve decided to place your lazy carcass in this summer, spare a thought for William White.

Why? Because the intrepid Bristol fresher is spending three and a half months cycling across the barren wastes of Asia this year.

A man like no other, William juggles his life as a geography student at Bristol with that of a modern adventurer who seeks physical challenges that would make the rest of us retreat back into our beds in fear.

The nomad himself

Only two years ago, at the age of 17, Will became the youngest person ever to walk across Iceland unaided. He has also cycled from Canterbury to Jerusalem, a journey that shows his unique mix of bravado and spirituality.

This summer William is going to cycle 9000km through Mongolia, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Iran, Azerbaijan and Georgia. He and his trusty sidekick Matthew will be crossing mountain ranges, deserts, and desolate plains all while living the life of a nomad.

And you can’t even get up for your 9 am.

If only his name was Stan…

On top of this, William is donating all money earned from the expedition to the charity Mary’s Meals.

What motivates you to attempt such a monumental escapade?

Apart from the personal challenge and the raising of money for charity, my main motivation lies in the emotional message sent by a film I watched years ago. Called Child 31, the film focused on the ferrying of food supplies to Bosnia during the civil war.

The film, which was created by the Charity Mary’s Meals, affected me deeply and instilled a drive within me to help alleviate problems around the world.

Three months with another person must create a strain on conversation topics. What’s your secret strategy for not wanting to kill each other by week two?

It’s true that close proximity in high stress situations can create tension. However, in my experience the adversity creates a bond between you that is so strong that even when you feel at your lowest you draw on each other’s strength.

You’re 100m away from the end of your colossal adventure. What song comes into your head for the final push?

Sail by AWOLNATION. It psyches me up and reminds me to stop being a wetty.

Our hero relaxes with a pint

Thoughts on the man himself (Genghis Kahn)?

A massive psychopath. But killing, raping and pillaging aside, Genghis’s achievements in leading his warriors all the way from Mongolia to Georgia shows his extreme fortitude and leadership skills.

Which location are you most afraid of cycling through?

The Karakum desert of central Asia where water is scarce and sandstorms are ever present.

Favourite quote?

“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Which superhero-sidekick duo do you and Matt most seek to exemplify?

It’s got to be Superman and Robin.

Any words of motivation for us lazy, non-adventuring peasants?

Keep it simple. Don’t over-complicate what should be such a simple concept, a lot of adventure boils down to mental belief in your own beliefs and abilities. When asked why he was attempting to climb Everest George Mallory commented: “Because it’s there”.  Gregory unfortunately died.

If you wish to donate some money to William’s expedition or to view his sponsors then click on the links below.

http://www.oxfordbikeworks.co.uk/

https://www.marysmeals.org.uk/get-involved/child-31/

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/WilliamWhite74