Bristol Bowlers Leave UWE In A Spin

UWE left wishing they batted for the other team after Varsity thrashing

A magnificent 84 not out from Mike Thompson saw Bristol University 1s to a convincing 90 run victory over a disappointing UWE outfit at Fortress Dingle on Friday night.

Bristol Men’s 1sts

After last years’ shock double Varsity defeat, both Bristol sides were looking to make amends on the back of extremely strong BUCS performances this season.

The 2s set the tone perfectly, Will Gerrard tearing through the UWE top order on his way to figures of 5-5. UWE never recovered and were skittled for just 58.

Despite Coombe Dingle being a notoriously difficult wicket to bat on, this never looked remotely challenging and the Bristol top order went on the offensive, punishing some wayward bowling en route to passing the target for the loss of just 2 wickets with half of their 20 overs to spare.

The boys get ready to bat

Then it was time for the main event. Bristol captain Mike Beard won the toss and opted to bat first despite both his openers being in exams until 5 minutes before the designated start times.

Nigel Jacobs and Thompson, on the back of a 9 hour engineering exam, were bundled into the changing rooms and thrown straight out into the middle to face the UWE attack.

The Dingle wicket offered its usual array of tricks but the Bristol openers stood firm amidst a solid 84 run partnership in just 10 overs.

Thompson’s 84no secured him the coveted Man Of The Match prize

When Jacobs fell for a typically flowing 27, this sparked a minor middle order collapse that saw Bristol lose 4 wickets very cheaply.

Thompson battled through however, relentlessly caressing the ball through the offside and giving DJ Ben ‘Melon’ Balmforth plenty of opportunities to blaze out some tunes as he steered his side towards a commanding total of 146-5.

DJ Ben “Melon” Balmworth entertains the crowds

This always looked to be too much for UWE, especially with the wicket starting to turn square and Bristol having picked 4 spinners.

Nikhil Waugh and Beard did some damage with the new ball, both taking 2 wickets as UWE were reduced to 7-5 off 5 overs to effectively end the game as a contest.

The spin quartet of Williams, Russell, Scott and Peet offered no respite and, despite some resistance from the UWE middle order, they were eventually dismissed for just 63; Jacobs picking up the last wicket with his first, and probably last, bowl of the season.

The Bristol side were roared off the pitch by the 10 people who had turned up to watch and the victory continues a brilliant season for the boys; unbeaten in BUCS this year and facing a promotion play-off to reach the Premier Division of university cricket.