The man behind the wheel: we met Robbie Bartle

‘Hail to the bus driver’ doesn’t even cover it

You may not immediately recognise his name, but if you have ever hopped on the Uni buses in Bournemouth, chances are you’ve come across award-winning driver Robbie Bartle – and chances are you’d remember it.

The Uni bus drivers

Robbie has been a bus driver for 16 years and has been driving the Uni buses specifically for a decade. We spoke about some of his memorable experiences behind the wheel.

“The funniest moment was one day I stopped at Cranbourne House on Route B, which is now the U1, and the whole top desk started singing Happy Birthday to me!” recounts Robbie.

But it’s not always fun and games. I ask about an emergency situations he’s had when driving the bus.

“Yeah, I has a member of staff from Boots in Bournemouth years ago who had a fit while I was driving. I called an ambulance and they managed to sort her out there and then.”

Robbie’s heroic actions and general service to the student population has not gone unnoticed. In early 2013 he received a ‘You’re Brilliant Award’ from the Student Union.

Robbie being presemted with his ‘You’re Brilliant’ award in 2013 

Gillie Bunting, Learning and Rep Coordinator at SUBU, who is responsible for coordinating the awards said, “I was thrilled that Robbie was nominated for a You’re Brilliant Award by students who travel on his bus, and also, that he was then nominated for a Silver You’re Brilliant Award 2012 – 2013 in recognition of his contribution to enhancing the student experience at BU.”  

“He is a natural at lifting the spirits of students catching the bus to university on a rainy Monday morning, and his smiles and chat with students sets their mood for the day.  This makes his contribution an important part of the wider student experience here at Bournemouth.  Our bus journeys would not be the same without Robbie!”

Robbie is loved by BU & AUB students!

To most who’ve met him Robbie is known as a kind-hearted, local hero who’s always able to share a smile. BU student Charlie Souter-Phillips tells me why Robbie is such a welcome face on those most difficult of mornings, “I’m a first year student living in Purbeck House, and I love it when Robbie is driving the bus! He is so friendly and brightens up any early starts I have. I think all the bus drivers should take a leaf out of his book!”