Votes are in for the ugliest building on the UoB campus

You decided the ranking of six of the biggest eye-sores

Although we might be biased, we think the University of Birmingham, the UK’s original redbrick university, is the prettiest campus in the country. Cast your eye from Aston Webb, across Chancellor’s Court, through the Law Building archway towards the library and you’ll soon see why.

However, although the campus dates back to 1875, rapid expansion during the 1960s saw numerous buildings spring up that, whilst serving a purpose, are far from picturesque.

The Birmingham Tab has used Instagram story polls to hear from you, the students of Birmingham. Over 500 people took part. Here are the six buildings you rated as UoB’s least attractive locations on campus.

Last place – Arts Building

Although not the ugliest building on campus, receiving only 20 votes, the maintenance of the Arts building exterior warrants it a place on this list. It follows the redbrick theme so it doesn’t stand out too much, but you have to hate those god-awful green panels on the top floor. Terrible colour choice.

5th place – School of Education

Situated on the outskirts of the university, the School of Education stands tall and proud with 166 votes. Many might not know this is the School of Education, as the sign at the entrance is so minuscule, one might mistake it for prison instead. The surroundings don’t help its case either; those dead bushes to the left only add to the depressing atmosphere. They could potentially create a mini Green Heart 2.0, put all of that tuition fees money to good use.

4th place – Muirhead Tower

Talk about a fall from grace. The winner of last year’s ugliest building on campus does not even qualify for the top three this year. I guess brutalist architecture has started to grow on the UoB students. Perhaps the sight of Starbucks at the bottom of the tower somewhat compensates for its imposing exterior. However, this was a close call against the University Centre. A total of 492 people voted on the poll and there was a mere 10 vote difference between the two buildings, awarding Muirhead 241 votes.

3rd place – University Centre

It was yet again a close call between the third and second place with only eleven votes separating the two. The University Centre received 105 votes out of the 499 that were sent in for the final round. The aesthetic of the University Centre is not the most exciting, and the colour combination doesn’t do it any favours either. If only it was covered with a giant sign that read “burritos inside”. Maybe that would redeem it from being part of the top three on this list.

2nd place – Strathcona

The building is obscured by Muirhead if you try and spot it from the Green Heart, which, to be honest, is probably a good thing. If you do decide to seek out this “hidden gem”, what you will discover is a sad looking structure that slightly resembles a snail. Standing adjacent to the School of Education, these buildings form of cluster of unappealing constructions that were probably best left in the previous century. 116 votes place Strathcona as the runner-up for the ugliest building on campus.

1st place – Biosciences

And finally, with 199 votes, The Birmingham Tab presents the winner of the “Ugliest Building on Campus 2022” title. Shoebox-like in shape, it is one of the first pieces of ugly architecture to assault the eyes of Selly Oak students on their way into uni. While it might be home to some of Birmingham’s greatest biological discoveries, here it takes the crown for campus’ most unsightly establishment.

Related stories recommended by this author:

• We asked UoB students their worst date stories just in time for Valentine’s Day

• The world’s biggest Greggs is coming to Primark this weekend

• Applications now open for Birmingham’s most eligible bachelors and bachelorettes