We asked UoB students their worst date stories just in time for Valentine’s Day

We’re praying for the girl in #5

Valentine’s Day – the one day a year that half of the population are happily loved up, and the other half are single (and maybe just a little bitter about it).

But finding “the one” isn’t easy – dating can be awkward at the best of times, and downright terrifying at the worst.

So to make all you singletons feel better this February 14th, we’ve rounded up a collection of your worst date stories. Brace yourself, some of these are pretty bad.

Did somebody say “sugar daddy”?

“I went on a date with a customer from work who was about 30 years older than me. We went for bottomless brunch at Gas Street Social (because he was paying). He took a photo of me, which I thought was fine until he posted it on Facebook to show everyone that he was on a date with me. I didn’t even have him on Facebook so only discovered it after I stalked him. Never seen him since.”

Who doesn’t love to be surveyed on a date?

“So we went to a restaurant, and the conversation was going well until he pulled out a pdf called ’35 questions to ask on the first date’. He went on to tell me that the questions got more ‘probing’ as you got deeper and I was mortified. We then went round the Christmas markets where he spontaneously broke out into song… I was just so embarrassed and ready for it to end.”

Maybe leave the professionals to do the singing in public?

From 0-100 real quick

“I went to a guy’s house on a second date and he told me that he lived in a ‘stabby’ area, so he kept a fake knife on him. He then proceeded to open his bedside draw and show me his collection of very real knives.”

No running in the halls kids

“I went on a date with a boy and we went to the IKON gallery. He started screaming and running around and I felt like I was babysitting.”

Lego store = embracing your inner child! Screaming in the IKON = too far?

This one takes the crown

“I went on two dates with this guy (a Tinder thing) and he seemed nice – except for the fact that he was a Tory, but I thought I could look past that. Then on the third date he’d invited me to stay overnight, he revealed that he was a neo-Nazi who hated Jewish people and black people. I had to stay the night with him because I’d missed the last train home.”

I am speechless. Stay safe out there daters.