Image may contain: Female, Face, Paper, Brochure, Flyer, Poster, Advertisement, Text, Human, Person

UoB Guild reviewing sexual assault reporting system in response to Tab report

They’re pushing for a change in university legislation

The University of Birmingham Guild's Welfare Officer has announced she is reviewing the university's sexual assault reporting tool, "You Report, We Support".

This comes after a former UoB student told The Birmingham Tab how she was raped by another student and the university only offered to send a letter to her attacker.

In a statement released on her social media, Millie Gibbins said she will also be pressuring the university to change the legislation that states they have no obligation to pursue disciplinary action for incidents that take place off campus.

Image may contain: Person, Human, Flyer, Brochure, Paper, Poster, Advertisement, Letter, Document, Page, Text

Currently, despite the student code of conduct which prohibits the sexual assault or harassment of another student, the University of Birmingham has no requirement to pursue disciplinary measures against a student attacker if the incident takes place off-campus.

Millie added that she met with the university last Friday to discuss the issues raised in the article, and said that she was "appalled by the fact that this student felt let down by the system put in place to support them.

"I want every University of Birmingham student who reports incidents of sexual assault and violence to be treated fairly and personally, with access to a service which supports them no matter where the incident took place."

If you have been affected by any issues surrounding sexual assault, you can contact The Survivors Trust here.