UOB goes through to second round of University Challenge

Big up Brum

birmingham the tab the tab bham the tab brum university challenge university of birmingham

Last night at 8pm, the University of Birmingham competed in the quiz show, University Challenge against Queen’s University Belfast for a place in the second round of the student quiz. Team UoB received support from fellow students who attended the live screening of the show in Joes.

University Challenge, presented by Jeremy Paxman, is a weekly, academic quiz show intended for university students to participate in teams of four. Last year’s former champion of the show was Peterhouse College from Cambridge. UoB took part in episode 12 of this series and are through to the next round.

Students representing Belfast included Regan, Newby, Mathieson and Doherty, whilst students playing for Birmingham were Jan-Smith, Sutherland, Greenlees and Rouse. Greenlees was appointed captain for UoB and pulled the team through by answering most of the starter questions correctly.

It was a poor start for team UoB when they incorrectly answered the first question leaving them with – five points. At one point, it appeared we were on the way to losing when Belfast had bagged 75 points and we had a mere 15 points.

However, UoB won the round in the end, when we finished with 165 points leaving Belfast with 105 points. Smashing ‘The Hobbit’ round must have done it.

Congratulations to the team and the University of Birmingham wish you best of luck for the next round.

The episode is available for 29 days on iPlayer if you missed the show.