Francophile Society to hold vigil at the Guild tonight for Paris, Baghdad and Beirut

BBC and ITV will be filming the event for local news

BBC birmingham death ITV love remember selly selly oak terrorism the tab brum tragic vigil

A vigil inspired by Bristol University’s “Walk for Paris” will be held tonight at the Guild to remember the tragic events of Friday 13th. 

Brum’s Francophile Society will be holding the vigil in Mermaid Square at 6pm, to pay tribute to those who tragically lost their lives through acts of terrorism in Paris, Baghdad and Beirut last week.

Jessie Read, Social Secretary of the Francophile Society, said: “Around 50 percent of our society is made up of French students, so we wanted to do something to honour the attacks in Paris.

“We were really inspired by Bristol University’s ‘Walk for Paris’, and we wanted to honour all of the victims of Friday’s tragedies here at Birmingham.”

The vigil is taking place in Mermaid Square

Jessie added: “There will be a speech by Louis, the President of the Francophile Society, followed by a minute’s silence in remembrance of the victims of the attacks.

“Afterwards, the national anthems of Iraq, Lebanon and France will be played.

“At the end of the vigil, we will be collecting donations for our chosen charities: Croix Rouge Française and Oxfam.”

Over 600 people have clicked attending on the Facebook event, with more expected to attend.

The BBC and ITV will be filming the vigil for the local West Midlands news.

The scenes in Paris on Friday

President of the Guild, Jack Mably, told The Tab: “The Guild of Students is shocked and saddened by the terror attacks that have taken place across the world this weekend.

“We stand in solidarity and offer our support to all affected by the tragic events in Paris, Beirut and Baghdad.

“We encourage all students to join us for a moment of remembrance.

“For any students that wish to access support, please contact our advice and representation centre and for any students out in Paris currently. The University has released further information to follow.”

The Francophile Society welcome all to tonight’s vigil and encourage those attending to bring their own candles to light and place on the concrete areas of Mermaid Square.

Our thoughts are with all the families and friends of the victims.