Three girls had a narrow escape when they were hit by a car near campus

The collision happened next to the Vale

birmingham car crash Edgbaston students

Three students were hit by a car on their way to lectures after the driver lost control of the vehicle.

The crash happened next to the Vale yesterday, at the junction of Somerset Road and Edgbaston Park Road.

The car appeared to have lost control and crashed into the barrier before hitting the students.

Luckily the three female students were only clipped by the car and suffered minor leg injuries.

The driver was said to be uninjured.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service Spokesman said: “The three Birmingham University students were walking to class when the car lost control, spun and collided with railings twice before coming to rest 50 yards further up the road.

“In the process, the car clipped the three students.

“Amazingly none of them suffered serious injuries. The 18, 20 and 21 year olds all suffered minor leg injuries.

“They were assessed by the crew but were discharged at scene.

“The driver, a 20-year-old man, was uninjured.”

They added: “The crew commented that all three girls were incredibly lucky.

“Had the timing been only slightly different, the result would have been much more serious.”

The girls were hit on their way to lectures

Jack, a Birmingham student, said: “A friend told me it looked like this guy was possibly driving girls back from the night before, as they were dressed up and crying by the ambulance.

“I’m not sure what else but there was a group of kids being questioned by police, so it must’ve been a close call.

“The crash happened around 11am so it would’ve been very busy, I’m surprised no one was hit.

“From my eyes after the crash was cleared, I reckon he drove round the bend towards the vale at about 50/60mph, spun out on the wet, lost control and oversteered back into the pavement/barrier.

“The way the barrier is dented suggests that.

“And the car is rear wheel drive, so that’s probably what happened.”