Vice Chancellor April McMahon set to resign next summer

The controversial VC said she’ll leave in July 2016 in a goodbye email to students

The controversial Vice Chancellor of Aberystwyth University April McMahon announced she will step down from her role next summer.

Pressure has been mounting on Professor McMahon ever since Aber slid down the national rankings last year, with a recent petition calling her to resign attracting 2,000 signatures.

In an email to students, Professor McMahon, who has held her position for four years, wrote: “After a great deal of thought I have decided not to seek renewal of my contract at the end of my five year term.

“I am immensely proud of the work I have done with so many exceptional people in setting Aberystwyth University securely on the path to future sustainability.”

One of her achievements over the years

Chancellor Sir Emyr Jones-Parry thanked Professor McMahon for her work: “During her time at Aberystwyth, the Vice-Chancellor demonstrated quickly an ability to cope well with the rapid changes needed in Aberystwyth against a difficult external environment.”

It’s fair to say that VC April McMahon had a mixed reputation among students.

Developments such as Penglais Farm ran way over their original timescale, Aberystwyth has crashed down the rankings over the last few years and petitions calling for her resignation have gained widespread support.

Aber has shown recent signs us recovery in the league tables, but still remains near the bottom.

Made in 2014, it got worse since then

Third year Nathan was unsurprised by the news: “Her reign of terror is over. But seriously, this has been a long time coming, and I know that a lot of students and staff will breathe a sigh of relief.”

But third year Jake Stennett feels McMahon has been harshly treated: “She oversaw the university at a difficult time, and whilst there may have been some questionable decisions, she’s been scapegoated for all the university’s problems.

“Problems at the university go far deeper than the actions of one woman. I wish her all the best.”