Beaches left in a state after bonfire night

You are killing sea creatures and you don’t even care

Our beautiful beaches were covered in litter after hundreds headed down to host their own fireworks display.

Sparklers, broken bottles, beer cans and plastic were all left over after bonfire night, causing concern for Beach Buddies who always clear up the mess.

The organisation said: “This happens every year. We normally clear up two bin bags worth from South Beach, and this year cleaned up a whole bag’s worth from North Beach.”

Just some of the rubbish found by the volunteers

They added: “The Fireworks, particularly rockets, are being aimed directly at the sea and this means the plastic components they contain are being littered straight into the sea.

“They join the estimated 270,000 tonnes of plastic already polluting the oceans, killing tens of thousands of sea creatures through mistaken ingestion and subsequent starvation and also poisoning the food chain.

“Particularly bad also are sparklers, broken glass and nails from burnt wood that can go through a person, or a dog’s foot.

Is this really necessary?

“Fireworks scatter plastic everywhere. Everybody loves campfires, including ABB, but nobody likes litterers spoiling the scene they went to enjoy.

“Please don’t set fireworks off on the beaches or countryside full stop. Instead go to organised displays with clean up crews and safety regulations in place.”

Aberystwyth Beach Buddies has been running beach cleans for the past two years, after being set up by an ex-Aber student.

Those interested in helping can join their clean of Tan y Bwlch beach Monday.