April McMahon takes a £9,000 pay cut to stay in her job

Taking one for the team?

aberystwyth april mcmahon vice chancellor

The vice chancellor has taken a hefty £9,000 pay cut from her juicy salary to remain in the driving suit of Aber uni.

April McMahon has shaved £9,000 off her salary – the price tag of a single year of tuition.

Last year, April McMahon’s pay packet peaked to a staggering £252,000, with additional pension perks.

The uni defended this “performance related” figure, saying it reflected leadership of a “complex multi-million pound organisation in an internationally competitive market”.

They refuse to say if this recent wage cut is also “performance related” and in correspondence to the decline in league tables: McMahon appears to have been reaching for the stars when aiming for a place in the top 30 UK universities by 2017.

Aber Uni currently resides at 87th in the 2015 Complete University Guide.

University treasurer, Dr Timothy Brain says there are “challenging times ahead for the university”.

He is “confident of growing its levels of surpluses to a sustainable level” with a “two-year recovery plan”.

Miracles will be needed to shoot Aber up the 57 places up the league table in order to make the top 30.