Mary Earps dress gay sports personality of the year

All the best dressed Lionesses at the BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards

Mary Earps slayed the house down

The internet’s favourite Lioness, goalkeeper Mary Earps, was crowned Sports Personality of the Year last night after reaching the Women’s World Cup final with the England team this summer, going viral for her (“fuck off”) penalty save against Spain, and scooping the Golden Glove award. To put it short, she’s having an absolute moment.

“I’m very honoured and humbled. For me, I feel like this is the ultimate all round sporting accolade,” she said as she accepted the SPOTY trophy. “I think us as Lionesses and obviously United as well, we’ve had an incredible couple of years. This is just wow.”

Thanks to training commitments, some big names from the England squad – Alessia Russo, Ella Toone, Lucy Bronze – didn’t step out on the BBC’s red carpet— but they did all give some seriously emotional quotes about Mary for her nomination video.

But every Lioness who could make it to the black tie awards (whether retired, injured or part of the current team) looked seriously unreal. So, here’s a rundown of all of the best outfits of the night:

Jill Scott

Credit:David Fisher/Shutterstock

This is how you do festive dressing without looking like an actual Christmas tree. The sheer sparkly top? The feather cuffs? The pointy-toed silver stilettos? Jill Scott is giving French elegance and I’m so here for it.

Alex Scott

Credit: David Fisher/Shutterstock

From the GQ Men of the Year Awards to Soccer Aid, Alex Scott never misses the chance to go full glam and this cut-out red dress is another win. Plus, it pissed off a few more trolls on Twitter. Ho, ho, ho, Merry Christmas.

Leah Williamson

Credit: David Fisher/Shutterstock

If there’s one thing Leah Williamson is going to do, it’s serve an absolute look in a tailored suit. She once said in an interview she would want Jodie Comer to play her in a film about her life and, honestly, I see the vision.

Mary Earps

Credit: Credit: David Fisher/Shutterstock

Mary totally slayed the house down in this £1,460 lace dress by London-based designer David Koma. Honestly, if Maya Jama had swanned into the Love Island villa wearing this, there’d have been a standing ovation. Stunning, gorgeous— no notes x

Boujee holidays and TikTok fame: Inside Lioness Mary Earps’ life off the pitch

• Mayfair nights out and glam holidays: Inside Lioness Alessia Russo’s life off the pitch

• Inside the incredibly vibey Instagrams of the Women’s World Cup England squad 

Featured image credit via David Fisher/Shutterstock