Balls or bills? St Andrews students begin to reject rising event prices

Who else would pay that for a night where booze was not included?

St Andrews does not have any nightclubs (RIP The Lizard Lounge), so we resort – frequently – to balls to fulfil our dreams of dancing in an alcoholic haze. To quote my friend Nicola, they are “pricey, but I can understand why”. The St Andrews package just isn’t complete without a night on Sallies quad drinking £3 shots. However, in recent months, claims have been made on the cost of these events: are they worth it and why does our culture sustain them?

Nicola showcasing her ball-ing talents

One of the more notorious events, Welly Ball (which has been embroiled in several Facebook debates recently), gave The Tab a comment on the cost of the event. At £65 per person for the full shebang, Welly Ball is definitely on the upper end of St Andrews costliness. However, co-director of Welly Ball Ben Conway argues that this is the way forward in sustaining St Andrews opulent event culture. Conway states that the cost brings you the “quintessential St Andrews event” whilst donating money to charity; he said that they “cut back on frills where possible” with student volunteers.

Hunter Wellies are the footwear of choice at WB

But, is this enough? The more expensive price tag doesn’t seem to deter St Andrews students– the sell-out success of events like Reeling Ball and Opening Ball suggest that £70 tickets won’t be changing anytime soon.

However, Welly Ball, Opening Ball and co may have the watch out: there are new events on the horizon. The MasqueRave (in the place of the Charity Committees Ball) offered tickets as low as £3 for a night of dancing and general debauchery. Head of the Charities Committee, Kristen Tsubota, argued that the night out should be one “dedicated to charity” that has “something for everyone” – not just people who could afford the extortionate price tag. JSOC ball, new for Scotland this year, also offered an open bar for just £25 a ticket. The same as an after party. This – in my own experience – is the key to a good night out; where you get what you want for the money you pay. JSOC ball organiser Kathryn Rose argued that value was key and “students always have one eye on their bank balance, so we wanted to make sure that we were offering as much as we could for as low as possible.”

More importantly it is what students have to say which will affect the future of St Andrews events. The Tab interviewed a mix of St Andrews finest society to get an idea of the student perspective – although I could not find a single person who had never been to a ball; proving they are endemic here.

Emma, an American student, does say that balls can be “fun” but it’s for the social experience – balls can charge the money for giving a social bubble that you can’t find elsewhere in St Andrews. If you were to go alone, she adds, it would be “wasted money”. Herein lies the issue. It is not that St Andrews are throwing away extortionate money (or which would certainly seem extortionate at other universities across the country) but that there is little choice in terms of our social play time. Balls give us a chance to let loose, drink, dance; it just costs a fair amount of money to do so.

Traditional ‘pose with drink’ photo that will become your profile photo

Ben, a first year PhD, took it even further. He argues that these events don’t give you “much for your money”. He says that balls are a complete “package” and St Andrews just can’t compete with what Oxbridge have to offer. Likewise, Tristan, a first year in DRA, agrees that these events are “overpriced” and not always worth it.

It seems that St Andrews students are fed up of paying £70 for a night out; clubbing dressed in a ballgown with ice cream thrown in. But, with little other choice the balling must, and will continue. Is there any hope on the horizon? Freya Goble, a second year who has finished with her freshers FOMO, argues in favour of attending select, cheaper events – giving you the St Andrews fun, without it hitting your bank balance. The new events craze may say bye bye to Cinderella and hello to a more normal student experience, one filled with alcohol, dancing and a few less boys in tartan trousers and bow ties. St Andrews will never do away with the balls of years past, but changes are coming; the money and opulence of don’t seem to cut it on a student budget anymore.