Five things you should do this week…

By on

Facebook Twitter

PIMM’S: The girls in red and white are back, looking impossibly beautiful and hosting the event of the summer season: “PIMMS” with a “Best of British” theme. This year’s ad campaign had them strutting down North Street dressed as the Queen, Sporty Spice and Pippa Midz and the ticket queue outside the Lib rivalled the boys KK May Ball queue. PIMMS is held at the Gilston Estate and starts at 7. So summer is nearly here, we’re dreaming of balmy evenings along the river at HRR and we can almost smell the cut grass at SW19.

Polo: This Sunday sees the return of the St A Charity Polo Varsity Tournament, this year fundraising for Help for Heroes. St A takes on Edinburgh in the biggest match of the Scottish Polo calendar. Yet it’s more than Prince Harry on a horse… it features a guest performance from The Other Guys, music from DJ Dan Matthews, Pipe and Drum bands, a fully-stocked bar with bespoke Rascals cocktails and a wooden horse to try out the sport. Tickets are only £7 on the gate at the Strathtyrum Estate (buses will be running to and fro… check here for bus times). 

Celtic Society Ceilidh in the Castle: Looking for a Scottish night out without KFB and a pint of Tennents? Well, Celtic Society have something wonderfully Scottish for you! We’ve had Macbeth in the Castle, now this weekend it’s Ceilidh in the Castle. The legendary Luke Brady will be playing Gay Gordons for you from 7 ‘til sunset. Dancing will be followed by a beautiful torchlit procession. Sounds. Magical. Oh and tickets are only £5 for members, £7 for non-members and are available outside the Union this week. 

Apocalyptic Ball and Rave: Sometimes we want to go to an event not only because it sounds bloody brilliant, not only because the poster is beautiful, but because we want to meet the creative god behind such a gorgeous poster… With the tagline, ‘If the world is to end, it does so in colour’, we’re intrigued, very intrigued. Saints LGBT are fundraising for Waverley Care and the night is coming from the Old Course. Boasting a stellar line up at the Old Course including a gourmet dinner and drinks, performances from Blind Mirth, Captain Curly and the Jazz Pirates, the wonderful Tim and Mimi, the divine Accidentals and DJ Luke Holman. If you don’t have enough dollar to dish out £35 for a full ticket, dancing tickets are only £10 and are available outside the Lib this week. 

The Gaudie: So the KK pulled off the Procession with gusto this year, can they do the same with the Gaudie? The Gaudie draws students from across the town to the Castle to process with torches at nightfall along the Pier, paying homage to the legendary John Honey. A story of courage and heroism that should embolden all students as they contemplate running into the ocean in the early hours of Tuesday morning for May Dip.

Photo: © Ben Goulter

Facebook Twitter
Heard something on campus?

By on

St. Andrew’s favourite chippy ranks top 10 in UK

Fish are food, not friends

By on

Bodies, blind horses and bestiality rumours: A conversation with Equus

Provocative, brutal and bare (literally)

By on

A reply to the Edinburgh Tab

It’s time to recognise the Edinburgh tab’s St Andrews article for what it really is – lacking in research.

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By , Former Editor, The Tab London on

London Toffs should feel guilty about a lot of things but listening to dubstep isn’t one of them

It’s time to welcome the Skepta-loving rich list in from the cold

By , Chief Reporter on

Twin model crashed car after drink driving at 10 in the morning

Both twins were previously handed ASBOs because of their wild parties

By , Chief Reporter on

Private school makes you a boring clone of your mum and dad

Going to the same Russell Group unis to do the same subjects makes you a robot, apparently

By on

Milo Yiannopoulos: It’s absurd that I was banned from speaking at Manchester SU

You guys, I feel very oppressed right now

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’