Silent Protest at Sallie’s Sunday Service

By on

St Andrews students are set to hold a silent protest in reaction to Cardinal Keith O’Brien’s controversial visit to St Salvatore’s Chapel this Sunday.

The leader of the Catholic Church in Scotland, Cardinal Keith O’Brien will be visiting St Andrews this weekend. He will be giving a sermon on the Meaning of Discipleship during the 11:00am Sunday Service in Sallie’s Chapel. All staff and students are welcome.

The Cardinal recently angered Equal Rights groups over his criticism of the Government’s plans to introduce legality for same-sex marriages. He suggested that thelegalisation of slavery would be just as intolerable as homosexual marriages, and called the government’s discussions ‘madness’.

Equalities Minister, Lynne Featherstone, says that the change aligns itself with the UK’s modern and liberal society. Scottish Secretary, Michael Moore, argues that a same-sex couple should have the right to celebrate their lifelong commitment to each other and for this relationship to be recognised as a marriage.

The LGBT Society will be hosting a silent protest, inviting all St Andrews students to wear colourful T-Shirts as a visible sign of solidarity. The rainbow of colours symbolise support for the fair treatment of homosexuals. All are welcome to assemble at 10:45 on Sunday, outside the chapel.

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

Mermaids’ Christmas Ball Reviewed

Amidst all the gowns of St Andrews, students finally got a taste of Hogwarts at this year’s Christmas Ball.

By on

How to feel festive during exam season

There is still hope

By on

Top things to do this week

Revision week doesn’t have to be stressful

By , Chief Reporter on

Confessions: What was your worst Tinder date?

‘He told me he had slept with my ex a few weeks earlier so it was literally a date from hell’

By , Contributing Editor on

What’s more important: Face or body?

Pretty face, average bod > average face, fit bod

By and on

What is the best all-girls school in the country?

‘Millie can I borrow a tampon?’

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life