Newly elected Guild VP attacked for saying she’s ‘proud to be called a terrorist’

She has been accused of anti-semitism in her pro-Palestine campaigning

The newly elected Students’ Guild Vice-President for Postgraduate Research, Malaka Shwaikh, has been accused of anti-Semitism, having tweeted that she is “proud to be called a terrorist” for the cause of Palestine.

This tweet has since been deleted, amongst others

Malaka Shwaikh, a PhD candidate and University of Exeter employee is originally from Gaza and is known for her Palestinian activism.

The Campaign Against Anti-Semitism has published three articles about Malaka Shwaikh citing social media activity that is being called anti-Semitism.

In a pubic platform speech, during Exeter’s March against Fascism, she said: “66 members of my family have been killed bythe Israeli Army”, and denounces any claims that she is anti-semitic as Islamophobia.

Exeter students invite terrorist-supporting antisemite to reas…

After a spate of antisemitic incidents at the University of Exeter, students decided to organise a protest march. They did what came naturally to them and asked Malaka Shwaikh, exposed by Campaign Against Antisemitism as a terrorist-supporting antisemite, to address the crowd and make Jewish students feel safe. Whilst professing an admirable desire for solidarity, Shwaikh took the opportunity not to renounce any of her views and to instead berate those “attacking” her as simply venting their “Islamophobic” prejudice.

Posted by Campaign Against Antisemitism on Monday, February 20, 2017

Screenshots have recently appeared of tweets belonging to her, that say “#DefendIssawi199: Hitler did his deed and the Palestinians had to pay for it. Free Samer Issawi! Free Palestine!” She also tweeted: “#DefendIssawi199: Zionism ideology is no different than that of Hitler’s. Free Samer Issawi.”

Samer Issawi, the prisoner in question, was convicted of attempting to murder two Jewish university students, for firing indiscriminately at Israeli police officers and at a civilian bus.

This follows recent unrelated incidents of swastikas being found outside the Birks Grange Halls of Residence.

NOW WATCH:
The Tab Exeter The Tab Exeter News