Oxford trumps Cambridge in new world university rankings

Sorry freshers, you should’ve gone to Oxford

Times Higher Education’s 2016 rankings of world universities has put Cambridge at a disastrous fourth place. 

That means there are three whole universities better than Cambridge – it is an embarrassment to your world-class ego.

You’ll need to invest in one of these

The Times Higher Education (THE) have released their 2015-16 World University Rankings league table, and it makes for grim reading Cantabs.

Despite doing some good work to survey and include over 400 new institutions on the table, they’ve put Oxford two places ahead at second.

But it’s not all doom and gloom. We’ve improved on last year when we were fifth, and Oxford third.  Phil Baty, editor of THE World University Rankings, described Oxford and Cambridge as “star performers”.

Oxford University

In total, the UK came out with 78 ranked institutions out of 800 in the table.

Factors taken into account include research income, teaching and international outlook (gap yah?). In fact, it seems there is little that a meagre undergraduate can do to help.

Oxford graduate Boris Johnson

Boris Johnson didn’t hold back in flying the flag for London’s universities who featured on the table, stating he is “incredibly proud” that four London institutions place in the top 30.

Imperial College London came just after Cambridge, in eighth place.

There is some consolation for Cantabrigians used to coming first. Cambridge came second place (after Harvard, but before Oxford) in the World Reputation Rankings 2015.

Sigh. Breathe easy. Back to work everybody.

Rank  Institution Country
1 California Institute of Technology US
2 University of Oxford UK
3 Stanford University US
4 University of Cambridge UK
5 Massachusetts Institute of Technology US
6 Harvard University US
7 Princeton University US
8 Imperial College London UK
9 ETH Zürich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich Switzerland
10 University of Chicago US

Source: Times Higher Education. Link to the full results and analysis at www.thewur.com.