Cafe de Flore

By on

EMMA WILKINSON reviews Café de Flore, on limited release at the Arts Picturehouse in Cambridge

Directed by Jean-Marc Vallée

Jean-Marc Vallée has taken on a pretty gargantuan task with Café de Flore. His essential thought process seems to have been to use swathes of characters to represent most modern-day problems he can think of. Complicating this recipe for confusion, he’s also pitched his different strands of story across two continents and placed them several decades apart. His ambition should be applauded – but in reality, his execution is less than convincing.

What remains unclear throughout Café de Flore is Vallée’s overall point. At any given moment in the film, it is really the audience’s own guess as to whether his primary focus is with showing the difficulties in coping with Down’s syndrome, insanity and obsession, the superficiality of Catholicism in modern-day Canada, the potential existence of soul-mates, or the simply the merits of Robert Smith. Some of these strands seem designed to give context to the lives of the myriad of characters. Not being explored to their full, however, they end up a bit disappointing.

The fragmented style of the story initially seems appealing, but it becomes clear that there is a surplus of short bursts of information, but not enough of an overall backbone. A longing for answers is a predictable outcome of Vallée’s mysterious style of story-telling, so the lack of a significant resolution is frustrating. This patchwork plot comes across like Vallée aimed to throw vast quantities of ingredients together to create some sort of filmic Pavlova, but somehow miscalculated its structural integrity, and instead ended up with a bit of an Eton Mess.

That’s not to say, however, that there aren’t any redeeming features that make Café de Flore something worth seeing. Many of the acting performances were really commendable – in particular, the interaction between Jacqueline (Vanessa Paradis) and her Down’s syndrome-afflicted son Laurent (Marin Gerrier) was undeniably moving. Antoine (Kevin Parent), on the other hand, was much less appealing – his general beauty may have beguiled women in the film and audience alike, but his propensity to whine over first-world woes seemed unlikely and unnecessary.

In essence, Café de Flore represents the general Canadian confusion it depicts. In style and ambition it verges on the American, yet its gratuitous nudity and indulgently accordion-infused soundtrack show pervasive French side to it – resulting in a lack of a clear outcome. Vallée has chosen a range of interesting, viable topics for his film, but has spread his attention to them too thinly. He has thus succeeded in creating something fascinating, but essentially frustrating.

• #therat

#therat why is there no article on the library whispers closure?

• LOL

Wow, talk about the least effective place on the tab to raise that worry…a (quite good btw) film review…

• Pingback: orospu ankara()

• Pingback: ankara eskort()

• Pingback: antalya orospu()

• Pingback: ankara escort()

• Pingback: foxden()

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

The Union Presidential Elections: The Tab interviews Sachin and Charlotte

We asked the Union presidential candidates why you should vote for them

By on

Finn McRedmond Week 7: Stop being a tragedy hipster

Morality isn’t about being cool

By on

Review: Be Waffle

ANNA WHITE has a wonderful break at Be Waffle

By , Contributing Editor on

When did Instagram become an excuse to look at soft porn

Answer: as soon as you downloaded it

By , Chief Reporter on

We be burnin’: Meet the golden boys who tan

Lads trip to the sunbeds anyone?

By , Features Editor on

How to come out to your parents

‘My mum hung up on me when I told her I was gay and didn’t call back for 45 minutes’

By , Features Editor on

What club photographers really think of you

A lot of editing goes into that squad Facebook photo

By , Contributing Editor on

What’s the meanest thing anyone’s ever done to you?

Everything is funny when it happens to someone else