The Cult of Humility

By on

Why we like our pop stars "grounded", "humbled" and, ideally, "living in a bin".

Two high profile women at two high profile events gave the finger recently, to vastly different receptions. One of them was M.I.A., performing alongside Madonna at the Super Bowl; the other was Adele, who at this week’s Brit Awards stuck up the same finger “to the suits” when she was cut off during her acceptance speech.

Despicable display…

The responses were vastly different:  M.I.A.’s one-fingered salute was deemed “negative” and “ungracious”, especially given the privilege she had been afforded performing alongside her majesty Madonna.

Adele’s response, meanwhile, was viewed as  another example of her unaffected pluck, sticking it to the man. In the age of the reality show, it seems we have developed hypocritical obsession with “humility” .

It’s become a fixation on the X Factor, as Louis Walsh bleats for the hundredth time: “What I love about you, (insert warbling, slightly weepy contestant’s name here), is that you don’t know how good you are.”

…whereas with someone like you, no problem.

Yes, there are the token “divas”, but this accolade can too easily be turned against them. If they’re too good, they must have a “rough week” to be humbled, and spend the rest of their time on the show bowing and scraping to express the immense privilege of being allowed to perform weekly karaoke in front of a panel of halfwits.

If not, that’s them out – there’s nothing Tulisa from NDubz likes less than a lack of humility. If they want to stay in the game they must weep about their mums, their nans, their experiences of bullying, the job they just couldn’t bear to go back to now that they’ve tasted The Dream.

The cult of humility has even affected the music, being the punchline of One Direction’s number one hit “What Makes You Beautiful”. What really gets One Direction going is a girl who doesn’t know she’s beautiful (don’t worry about her brain or her personality, and run a mile if she’s got a mere inkling that she’s not utterly repulsive).

M.I.A.’s middle finger isn’t humble; Adele’s is all right because we can patronise her for being “one of us”  ( A real woman! A Cockney!) in other ways. She must constantly affect unaffectedness however big she gets.

Reality show culture has created an unpleasant paradox: we don’t like our pop stars to act like pop stars any more. We’d rather a forelock-tugging fest and see the humbler, though not the best man, win.

• Solution

Stop watching shit TV like XFactor.

This one has worked wonders for me.

• Goblin

M.I.A. has all the charm of a hippopotamus

• Big Fanu Fan

Could not agree more! PS shit TV is the best TV.

• Daily Mail

"She [Adele] must constantly affect unaffectedness however big she gets."

Bit harsh.

• Weepy

Don't cry, it's ok, mummy's here

• Micahel Seebach

Is fishing for sympathy exactly the same thing as humility?

• Vermin

Hi guys,
    Unfortunately I only have four claws and a little stump on my front paws, with an awkwardly-placed Gastrocnemius muscle, so however much I wish to engage in this sort of behaviour, I really just can't.
    Thanks and all the best,

• <333

• cynic

if adele were really "sticking it to the man", she wouldn't be a pop star. jussayin

• Random Person

Wow. Who would expect Adele to stick her middle finger up to someone in the middle of the Brits Awards?

• Lewis

Are Stirling’s worst Alumni not those who have left and done absolutely nothing, therefore rendering them totally useless in Society’s eyes?

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

Vote Now: Cambridge’s Best Bums 2015

All bums are equal, but some are more equal than others. Help us choose which ones.

By and on

The mafia is opening its ranks

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

By on

BREAKING: Oxford captain RULED OUT for Varsity match happening in 11 DAYS

With very little time to go, Cambridge gets a massive boost

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life

By , Chief Reporter on

Your gluten free diet is killing the wheat industry

Bread just makes me bloat

By , Chief Reporter on

How to get into a Boiler Room DJ set

There are a few options

By , Head of Marketing on

There’s just something about girls who DJ

They exude coolness