Interview – Rob Malaney

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

RUGBY: RUPERT MERCER meets the new Blues captain, Rob Malaney. And develops a bit of a crush.

I’m a red-blooded, heterosexual man. I am, however, worried that Rob Malaney thinks I fancy him. The reason is simple – his muscles. A lot of guys his size look like their clothes don’t fit; Malaney looks like his skin came in a couple of sizes too small and trust me, it’s hard to look away.

For a man who could probably go toe to toe with a silverback gorilla, Malaney is surprisingly softly spoken. He talked intelligently about his disappointment at Twickenham in December and how it motivated him to apply for the post as well as reflecting on the all-conquering Durham side he skippered to BUCS league and cup glory last season.

Malaney triumphant with Durham

That Durham side has not lost since March 2010 and recently came and turned over a Blues side fresh form their Varsity chastening. So why did he decamp to the Light Blues?

“Education played a big part. I was really keen to continue my studies but obviously that had to be somewhere I could still keep up my rugby very seriously. Cambridge seemed the perfect option.”

Studying post-grad history at St. Edmund’s is clearly agreeing with Malaney but I wondered how perfect the decision must have felt as his old team-mates racked up a 22-point victory at Grange Road.

“Obviously I was disappointed. I knew most of the side and they give me some stick after but it wasn’t unexpected. Our season has reached its climax; we’re rebuilding now, whereas they’re in the middle of their BUCS campaign and obviously in top form

“It didn’t make me regret leaving. I’d achieved everything I had to achieve with Durham. This is a new challenge for me now and what happened at Twickenham is big motivation for next year.”

Tussling with the Dark Blues

Under Malaney things are in for big changes at Grange Road. Until now CURUFC has been run as a captain’s club, an anachronistic model placing all the logistical, financial and sporting responsibility on the captain.

“It was too old fashioned. We’ll be appointing a full time coach and I need my responsibility to be squarely on the field. When I captained Durham it was very much a democracy – I want anybody in the team to be able to voice their opinions and for us to try to come to decisions about how we play as a squad.”

So what of the Varsity Match? What was it that went so wrong?

“There’s not too much point in post-mortems now. I thought we matched them pretty well first half but they were just a bit too strong up front.

“Their captain, John Carter, had a great game. We looked better while he was off.”

I remind him that Carter only left the field after a highly cynical punch in the face at a ruck.

“I wish he could have stayed off longer,” comes the response, quick as a flash.

Carter has been elected Oxford’s captain again for 2012 so I wonder if Malaney is planning a repeat performance. Perhaps that’s what the muscles are for.

Facebook Twitter
  • TheBlid

He is FIT!

• Gabby Logan

an OK Tab article about sport for once

• Frankie

Surprised you can type with the giant man hands

• TPJ

I would eat you for breakfast mate…

• big gay bear

I wonder how many cornettos you have to curl to get biceps like that

• Seb Foster

I scored all the points

• Freddie

Can you stop “meeting” & interviewing people and start doing some actual sports reports? Am I asking too much?
    Search through your archives and you’ll see you used to do a weekly football, LaX, rugby college roundup… Did you decide that was too boring now?
    A few years ago when I was in my 1st yr Tab Sport was waaayy better than Varsity, definately not the case 2yrs on!!

Heard something on campus?

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Which Renaissance Pope is your college?

You’ve always wanted to know

By on

Send the No-Platformers a big, democratic middle finger

You may not like Julian Assange, but that does not mean he doesn’t deserve a platform

By , Deputy Editor, The Tab Cambridge on

POLL: Should the Union host Julian Assange?

Do let us know

By , Chief Reporter on

Meet the stripper who pole dances on the London Underground

She didn’t even clean the poles first

By , Chief Reporter on

Happy homesick day: Today you’re supposed to hate being at uni the most

If you can’t stick it out for three weeks, you won’t last for three years

By , Chief Reporter on

I was scammed out my life savings by a fake landlord who targets students

She was forced to pay £2,300 for rent up front

By , Features Editor on

Judge Rinder thinks Law students are really really serious

Skip your lectures, he says you’ll learn just as much from his show

By , Features Editor on

Universities will be ‘fined’ for failing working class students

The ones who score badly won’t be allowed to raise their tuition fees