Weather Leaves Varsity Trip On Thin Ice

By , News Editor on

Facebook Twitter

With just a week to go until the Varsity ski trip, organisers fear that there may be no snow on the slopes.

A week to go and still no snow.

In one week 3,000 Cambridge and Oxford students will take their first steps onto the slopes of Val Thorens. The only problem is that it hasn’t been snowing.

Val Thorens has already pushed back its season start date from 20th to 24th November due to poor weather conditions, but forecasts predict there might not be any snowfall at all before the trip.

Bare pickings – Val Thorens, Nov 25th 2011

The resort has been firing snow canons every day to cover the main runs, but results are patchy.

Roger Clarke, Vice-President of the Varsity Committee and Sidney Sussex third year said: “We can’t control the climate,” but “we’ll do everything we can to make sure everybody has a great trip.”

Thankfully, artificial snow machines can cover 40% of the resort, so even if it doesn’t snow there’ll still be skiing. But there will be no off-piste or open runs further down the mountains.

Better times – Val Thorens during the 2010 Varsity Trip

Some students are taking the news well. Pembroke fresher Rob Sanders told The Tab: “To be honest, if there’s no snow, I’ll just get slushed for a week and make the best of it.”

But not everyone is so happy with the lack of snow. Katy Davis, Clare second-year, said: “I’ve paid £500 to go skiing, so if you think I’m going to go just for a week of mountain lash you’re taking the piste.

George Newman, a first year at Homerton, doesn’t care either way. “I’m not going for skiing or drinking. I’ll be very happy as long as I get a couple of snow-jobs.”

But snow or no snow, mountain-bound students can definitely take comfort in the week’s stellar entertainment lineup, including headliners Bassment Jaxx, Westwood, and Ms Dynamite, revealed exclusively on The Tab last night.

Facebook Twitter
  • Those puns

are awful.

And so is George Newman.

• Rob Sanders

is a Pembroke legend.

• Silly

Hi Rob!! Nice to meet you

• Unconvinced

The terms "fresher" and "legend" are mutually exclusive… they haven't even been here a term yet!

• Commenter

It's gonna snow on Thursday apparently. And other than the first-lifters, no one's lift pass works 'til Sunday

• This is

• Shiiiiit

Varsity Ski Trip CANCELLED

• thetruth

over sold the event – the police landed and made them kick out loads of people. yet again they are screwing students left right and centre.

• john jones

why don’t you tweet @brumpolice and ask them what happened on friday they’ll tell you

• Lucas

What kind of self respecting student would go to this club when they have been caught kicking out gay people for kissing?

Heard something on campus?

By and on

Civil war: Resignations, infighting and plans to host Julian Assange push Union to breaking point

Assange has agreed to address the Union via video link on 11 November

By on

Cambridge’s most obscure societies*

We went beyond the clichéd ones (Tiddlywinks, anyone?) to find Cambridge’s most obscure societies. *(AKA ones that are a tiny bit niche and were also willing to speak to us. Which was not that many.)

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Louise Mensch: “I’m a feminist and I don’t give a fuck what you say”

“There are no safe spaces when I’m around.”

By , Features Editor on

Best person on Facebook this week

Netflix and chill is DEAD

By ,         on

VOTE: Who was the best dressed this week?

These people are killing it

By , Durham Editor of The Tab on

Durham Linguists are feckless posers who don’t know the meaning of a real degree

‘Ou est la gare?’

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Best clubbers of the week

You drink, we judge

By ,         on

Third years who found their housemate dead in his room are now being sued for unpaid rent

They were too traumatised to return