Oxford Union Shells Out Arm And A Clegg

By on

Facebook Twitter

The 177-year-old institution is mired in its second embarrassing controversy of the year.

The Oxford Union has been blasted for doling out wodges of cash for top-celeb speakers, including DJs and glamour models.

An investigation by The Oxford Student has shown that the society have spent sizeable amounts on bagging juicy speakers for its debates and talks including Jodie Marsh, MC Hammer, and Robinson’s very own Nick Clegg.

Pampered personalities charged up to £187 for taxis, £603 for accommodation and appearance fees of almost Blair-ite proportions, forking out a whopping £700 to audacious millionaire and former Italian PM Romano Prodi.

Shockingly, committee members also entered claims that would have made even the greediest MPs blush including one student charging £1,000 for designing the Union term card and last year’s president claming for 34 taxi rides between the Union and her home.

Having shelled-out £207 on membership this year, Oxford students reacted angrily to the news: “I can’t believe that they’re frittering away our money like this” Magdalen College student Max Mills told TCS, “it’s an absolute outrage”.

Asked about the Cambridge Union’s record on expenses, Head of Press Alexander Küng told The Tab: “‘While one of the Union’s main expenses are travel costs for speakers, we actively seek to minimise these.

“The officers’ concern in this regard is to run good events but also to adhere strictly to our budget and not engage in extravagant expenses. Moreover we strongly recommend all members attend our annual open business meeting on the 1st of November, during which we present the details of the recent society audit.”

The procedure for their Oxford counterparts has evidently been less transparent, with officers being accused of withholding crucial receipts from investigators for up to five months.

The controversy comes less than a month after the institution was tainted by the news that its president-elect had been reprimanded by Morgan Stanley for searching the company’s system for a “good strip club”.

Some at the 177-year-old institution might be questioning the wisdom of the saying “there’s no such thing as bad publicity”.

Facebook Twitter
Heard something on campus?

By on

The beginning of the end for the NHS?

The NHS is terminally ill. Jeremy Hunt’s latest plans to stretch junior doctors to their mortal limits could send Britain’s national treasure six feet under.

By , Tab reporter on

Working at the Freshers’ Fair is Awful

We suffer for your freebies.

By , Senior Tab reporter on

An interview with The Footlights

The Tab sits down with tour show director Ken Cheng and performers Adrian Gray, Archie Henderson and Eleanor Colville to talk about freshers, being funny and their new show.

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By , Former Editor, The Tab London on

London Public school boys should feel guilty about a lot of things but listening to dubstep isn’t one of them

It’s time to welcome the Skepta-loving rich list in from the cold

By , Chief Reporter on

Twin model crashed car after drink driving at 10 in the morning

Both twins were previously handed ASBOs because of their wild parties

By , Chief Reporter on

Private school makes you a boring clone of your mum and dad

Going to the same Russell Group unis to do the same subjects makes you a robot, apparently

By on

Milo Yiannopoulos: It’s absurd that I was banned from speaking at Manchester SU

You guys, I feel very oppressed right now

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’