Oxford Union Shells Out Arm And A Clegg

The 177-year-old institution is mired in its second embarrassing controversy of the year.

The Oxford Union has been blasted for doling out wodges of cash for top-celeb speakers, including DJs and glamour models.

An investigation by The Oxford Student has shown that the society have spent sizeable amounts on bagging juicy speakers for its debates and talks including Jodie Marsh, MC Hammer, and Robinson’s very own Nick Clegg.

Pampered personalities charged up to £187 for taxis, £603 for accommodation and appearance fees of almost Blair-ite proportions, forking out a whopping £700 to audacious millionaire and former Italian PM Romano Prodi.

Shockingly, committee members also entered claims that would have made even the greediest MPs blush including one student charging £1,000 for designing the Union term card and last year’s president claming for 34 taxi rides between the Union and her home.

Having shelled-out £207 on membership this year, Oxford students reacted angrily to the news: “I can’t believe that they’re frittering away our money like this” Magdalen College student Max Mills told TCS, “it’s an absolute outrage”.

Asked about the Cambridge Union’s record on expenses, Head of Press Alexander Küng told The Tab: “‘While one of the Union’s main expenses are travel costs for speakers, we actively seek to minimise these.

“The officers’ concern in this regard is to run good events but also to adhere strictly to our budget and not engage in extravagant expenses. Moreover we strongly recommend all members attend our annual open business meeting on the 1st of November, during which we present the details of the recent society audit.”

The procedure for their Oxford counterparts has evidently been less transparent, with officers being accused of withholding crucial receipts from investigators for up to five months.

The controversy comes less than a month after the institution was tainted by the news that its president-elect had been reprimanded by Morgan Stanley for searching the company’s system for a “good strip club”.

Some at the 177-year-old institution might be questioning the wisdom of the saying “there’s no such thing as bad publicity”.

Heard something newsworthy?

and

The Week Ahead: CUCFS, Antigone and Calvin Klein

All the cultural info for the week you need on one handy page

,        

Cambridge BNOCs give advice for RAG Blind Dates

Take it or leave it, you’re only soothing their egos

Pipe down humanities, you don’t know suffering

You need to stay quiet when we’re whining

, Contributing Editor

How what you watch on Netflix affects your sex life

The science of Netflix and Chill

, Contributing Editor

Just what is ‘dabbing’ and why do footballers keep doing it?

Look at my dab

North London is the best

Stop saying it’s frumpy

, Chief Reporter

Football teams are now signing people who are really good at Fifa

Can you do it on a cold night in Stoke though?

, Chief Reporter

George Galloway: ‘I don’t regret pretending to be a cat on Celebrity Big Brother’

This man wants you to vote for him to be Mayor of London

, Chief Reporter

The king is dead: Spencer Matthews has quit Made in Chelsea

Spenny has followed Caggie into the sunset