Week 4 Rugby Round Up

This week saw relegation favourites Catz and Girton suffer again Meanwhile, Downing v Jesus was controversially postponed.

Every week The Tab brings you all the results and the table from college rugby’s top-flight.

This week saw relegation favourites Catz and Girton fall at the hands of John’s and the ever-improving Trinity. Meanwhile, Downing v Jesus was controversially postponed.

Trinity 26-5 St. Catherine’s

Trinity continued their unexpected success this season by defeating league whipping boys St. Catz, who will take some comfort in recovering from last weeks drubbing by Jesus to score their third try of the season. Newly promoted Catz, who lost the bulk of their team to graduation at the end of last year now look certain to be relegated. One Catz forward told The Tab, “at this stage we’re playing for fun.” It’s remains to be seen how long this will remain an incentive, particularly as the winter frost takes hold. Certainly next week’s game against St. John’s will be a daunting prospect for this Catz side.

St. John’s 63-0 Girton

The red boys continued their inevitable march to the league title by whitewashing a struggling Girton side. John’s have not lost in the league for 5 years, and this season looks to be no different. They dispatched Girton with consumate ease and the title race already looks like it’s over.

Jesus p-p Downing

With both the top and the bottom of the table seemingly a foregone conclusion, attention has turned to mid-table where Trinity face competition from Downing and Jesus. Jesus are widely seen as the most likely challengers to John’s dominance, making them a prized scalp for other sides in the league. However, hopes of an entertaining clash were dashed after Jesus’ groundsman called the match off due to a waterlogged pitch. Several Downing players were left frustrated, and there were suggestions that Jesus had cancelled the game off due to an injury crisis which ruled out the majority of their pack. One Downing forward commented, “Given that the sun came out 15 minutes later, you have to wonder if they had other reasons for postponing the game.”
[standings league_id=5 mode=extend]

Next week promises a mouthwatering mid-table clash between Downing and Trinity, while Jesus face Girton and winless Catz face the daunting prospect of a trip to St. John’s.