Warwick reintroduces the compulsory wearing of face coverings on campus

The announcement follows the discovery of the new Omicron strain of Covid-19

The University of Warwick reintroduced the compulsory wearing of face coverings on campus on 29th November. The announcement follows the discovery of the new Omicron strain of Covid-19, and a move by the government to make face masks mandatory in shops and on public transport.

From 30th November, it is compulsory for students to wear face coverings in Rootes Grocery store and on public transport to and from campus.

In teachings, research and non library-managed study spaces, students will be expected to wear face masks when moving around the buildings and when sitting down. In these spaces, 1.5m social distancing will continue until term two.

Students are also expected to wear face coverings when moving around “crowded or enclosed spaces”, which includes the Library, Conference venues, Cafés, Warwick Arts Centre and the Sports and Wellbeing Hub.

The uni also recommend students get vaccinated, test for any Covid-19 symptoms and take regular lateral flow tests.

Further guidance from Warwick

Following the announcement of the new regulations on campus, Warwick explained: “These guidelines were developed in accordance with government and sector-specific guidance. Wherever you are on campus, we recommend washing your hands and using hand sanitiser regularly, and being courteous to your fellow members of the community.

“Please be considerate of those mourned you and ensure that you follow the latest guidance to keep our community on campus safe.”