Warwick Uni student who stabbed another student in halls will not receive jail time

Rohan Ahluwalia-Pandor stabbed Ayaz Kazi three times in 2021

A Warwick University student who stabbed a fellow student in Sherbourne Residences will not face any jail time.

Rohan Ahluwalia-Pandor was sentenced to a two-year community order yesterday after he stabbed Ayaz Kazi in 2021.

Ayaz has now said he feels “failed by the justice system” after he was stabbed at the Warwick Uni hall.

Kazi told The Boar: “Following today’s sentencing. I feel drained and exhausted by the justice system. Two years of pain waiting. The pain of seeing and feeling blood gushing out your body through three different wounds. All that for one offender to walk free and the other to pick litter. I have been failed by the justice system.

“Ausaf can walk back into the university like nothing happened. I’ve felt unheard. If things went differently, this could have been a murder case.

“Imagine a mother losing their son. A father having to bury his son. My older sisters losing their little brother. I am just happy I am healthy and fit. I thank God for saving my life because in the scenario I was in, it’s a miracle I’m alive. And no one will ever understand that.”

Kazi, whose wounds were deemed non-life threatening at the time, has since recovered.

The stabber, Ahluwalia-Pandor, was sentenced to a two-year community order after he stabbed Kazi at the University of Warwick in 2021. This sentence includes 35 days of rehabilitation and 180 hours of unpaid work.

Ahluwalia-Pandor was charged with unlawful wounding, which can carry a sentence of up to five years in prison. He had been in custody for nearly six months, and his sentencing took place at Warwick Crown Court at 10:30am on the 8th November.

Judge Peter Cooke, who delivered the verdict, stated during the sentencing that the stabbing was a “serious start to a criminal record” and that Ahluwalia-Pandor had “in effect ambushed [Kazi]”. Cooke also started that Ahluwalia-Pandor was lucky to avoid a suspended prison sentence, but warned that the sentence would “hang over” him.

On 17th November 2021, Ahluwalia-Pandor was arrested alongside his ex-girlfriend and Warwick law student Anam Ausaf after he stabbed Kazi, who was also a Warwick law student, three times. Ausaf was found not guilty on the 21st September this year.

• ‘Dirty c****s’: Warwick Uni Jewish Society group chat infiltrated with antisemitic messages

• Over 150 Warwick students march on campus in protest with Warwick Stands With Palestine

• Warwick student jailed after causing ‘horror’ car crash and attempting to flee the UK