How much Freshers’ will cost you at Warwick

The overdraft is there for a reason

Freshers’ Week is expensive. Freshers’ Week at Warwick is even more expensive because it’s actually two weeks long. Here’s a breakdown of how much money you will be spending in the next couple of weeks.

Freshers Pass – £59

You were probably sucked into buying this and later will realise that unless you go to every event, it actually wasn’t worth it at all. Still though, at least it’s a guaranteed entry into POP on Wednesday.

Society Federation Membership – £19

Warwick is a society based university, so you will need to get one of these. Whether it’s ‘Cheese and Chocolate’, ‘PPE’ or ‘Harry Potter’ society, you must own a Society Federation Membership.

Standard Society Joining Fee – £3

Some societies are free but most of them have a small joining fee. And you thought you were done when you paid £19 for a Society Federation Membership.

Joining a sport – £60-£230

At school, playing sports was encouraged, but they didn’t teach you how expensive it will be to play sport at a university. You have to get a Sports Federation Membership, then a joining fee for whatever sport you choose to do (they’re usually under a tenner) and if you want to join the gym, you have to upgrade to a gold membership, which costs £220.

Food shop – £50-£100

If you’re lucky, your parents would have covered you for this one. If you’re not, the first food shop will be very expensive. You will spend anywhere from £50 to £100 for your first couple of weeks.

At least we got pesto in our Welcome Pack last year

Pre-drinks per night out – £5

You will most likely be going out every night, so you will be having pres with your flat. If we were to estimate that you will drink around 1/4 bottle of vodka for pre-drinks and a couple of beers a night, roughly you will spend £5 a night.

Drinks at the SU – £1.50 (for Jungbombs)

You get to the Copper Rooms and realise that the night is still young. Let’s say that you’re going all out or you want to get a couple of your mates drink. You get five Jungbombs which are £1.50 each, that will total £7.50. Optionally you may add a couple of purples and spend roughly £10 a night.

Fancy Dress – £15

The SU usually throws in a couple of themed nights, or you may have to dress up for POP with a society. If you’re savvy with your money, you will know how to make your own costume and utilise everything you brought to uni. But if you’re keen, you will end up going into Leamington and getting a fancy dress costume from Planet Bong.

Take away – £2-£10 a night

There is a little chip van on the Piazza, so you may spend two or three quid after a night out, but if you get the drunken munchies, you’ll probably get Dominos with your flatmates. Trust me, it’s a bonding experience.

Let’s imagine that you’re a sporty person that wants to join five societies and goes out eight times during Freshers. You also love drinking, eating well and spend £15 per night and get four takeaways in those two weeks.

In total that will cost you £582.