Is Shades about to fade? Strip club in another dispute with locals

Gentleman’s joint up for license renewal again

Strip club Shades is applying for a license renewal this month – causing another dispute with locals. 

The location of the strip club has been described as “deeply inappropriate” by one neighbour. The Leamington club is situated around the corner from the Shree Krishna temple.

Students have questioned the need for a strip club in Leam – calling it outdated.

Second year Jenny said: “I don’t see why there is a need for ‘gentlemen’s clubs’ anymore. It seems so seedy and outdated.

“I worry that is just encourages general attitudes to women and just relies on drunken ‘lads’ stumbling out of Kelsey’s. I don’t feel safe walking home down my road in the dark.”

Last year, Shades only narrowly secured its license after over 360 residents penned letters of objection and the decision left many outraged.

Stories of girls who have had men approach them assuming they were dancers – or worse – have circulated throughout the student population.

The Tab spoke to WASS (Warwick Anti-Sexism Society) about the matter. Many members feel that the controversy around Shades is the fault of “a broken political system”.

One member who attended last year’s renewal meeting criticised the lack of “proper democracy” and the way the current debate disregards the well being of the women who work in Shades.

Last year’s SU Women’s Officer Louisa Ackermann said: “If the license is not renewed, the women will lose their jobs.”

Yet other students don’t feel that Shades should be an issue at all. Third year Brad told The Tab: “I have friends who go there and I really don’t see what the problem is with it – as long as it’s not causing hassle for anyone. It’s just another service in Leamington.

“I think there are bigger issues in Leamington that need sorting out first – all the drunks are a major example. At least Shades has a bouncer and is regulated.”

Labour County Councillor Matt Western in last Friday’s Leamington Courier said: “I have objected to the renewal application on the grounds of ‘proximity to place of religious worship’. The Shree Krishna temple is 60 yards from the site. Is that not proximal?”

Cllr Western also complained that the Tories on the committee have “little empathy for the feelings of Leamington’s residents”.