Harrison the Hero: Coventry finally defeated at Ice Hockey

On Thursday 20th February 2014, fans at Skydome witnessed the most nail-biting Ice Hockey match between Coventry and Warwick to date.

Warwick Panthers defeated Coventry last night with a exceptionally intense 7-6 win.

From disallowed goals to imminent punch-ups, the match was eventful to say the least. But little did we know this year would be the ultimate breakthrough for Warwick, who scored within the last 30 seconds of the match to triumph against Coventry.

To our delight, Warwick started off well with a 3-2 headstart in the first interval. Meanwhile, drunk girls in the audience were dancing to the flawless music playlist, Warwick fans were chanting the classic “we pay for your benefits” and foam hands were held high in support of the players. Coventry fans were chanting too, but as a result of utterly poor enunciation (standard Coventry), we didn’t hear much other than something along the lines of “Warwick are pricks”. Innovative.

Unfortunately, enunciation wasn’t the only thing Coventry fans struggled with…

Spot the error…

Our Warwick mascot also busted some moves to the ten second music shots, proving very popular with the crowd.

Warwick love

But the 3-2 lead didn’t come without its fair share of animosity. Following a collision between a Warwick and Cov player, pushes became shoves until the Coventry player dramatically swept off his helmet and goaded the Warwick player to fight him properly. Needless to say, the crowd roared in fury and both were sent off.

The respective mascots paraded the ice during breaks and even play-fought for the crowd’s amusement.

Looks like more than just a play-fight going on

To our dismay, Coventry stepped up in the 2nd interval to lead 4-3. But it was the final interval that provoked an electric atmosphere across the dome. Following a casual Macarena dance in the crowd, 5 minutes towards the end of the match Coventry scored, destroying what was previously a 5-5 draw. 90 seconds away from defeat, Warwick stepped up to equalise. With an excruciating 27 seconds left, Warwick scored again, through a penalty…

Despite hostility on pitch, incredible music, plenty of penalties, and the first female player to participate in a Cov vs Warwick match, the evening would have been nothing without Harrison, Warwick’s keeper. The masked hero defended his goal impeccably, fighting off the Coventry scroundrels from every corner. To our dismay, he wasn’t rewarded with Man of the Match, but the crowd cheered and chanted for him in response.

Facing the wrong way? Slightly awkward pose? Still our hero.

Needless to say, the 7-6 win left Warwick students feeling confident for the rest of the night…

With two goals scored in under 5 minutes of remaining time, the rush of adrenaline amongst both the players and the crowd was electrifying.

Now that Warwick have broken the cycle, let’s hope the streak of success continues next year…

Hugs all round

Warwick triumphantly hold their trophy