Homeless in the hallways – Police warning over private hall squatters

They’ve been sleeping in the communal areas

Rough sleepers have been camping out in the communal areas in some halls – while you lay sleeping in your bed.

Scared students living in Hanley House have been warned to be careful by accommodation managers. 

Residents of the private accommodation, opposite Rock City, received a letter earlier this week telling them to be aware of homeless people that were sleeping rough in the communal areas of the building.

The letter suggests that students close doors behind them not use the intercom to let people in.

It said: “We are currently having issues with homeless people gaining access to the building and rough sleeping in the communal areas.

“To keep the building and yourselves safe, please make sure the door closes behind you and you do not let people you know into the building via the intercom.”

They apologised and said they were looking for new ways to solve the issue.

Third year broadcast student Mollie Tracey, 20, lives in Hanley House and says she’s always been concerned that people can easily get into her building.

She said: “I have always joked about homeless people living in the car park as it doesn’t feel the safest of places. But now I know this could be true it is not comforting.”

Third year Jessica Twist lives with Mollie at the accommodation on Hanley Street and is also concerned.

She said: “It’s quite frightening knowing that homeless people have been sleeping in the communal areas.

“If homeless people feel they have nowhere else to go maybe the lack of shelters in Nottingham should be a problem addressed”

Hanley House isn’t the only accommodation that is having a problem with the homeless.

The Ropewalk accommodation has also had issues with the destitute.

Hannah Drake, a psychology finalist who lives in the building, said: “It’s made me feel very anxious knowing there was someone sleeping rough in the building I live in.”