19-year-old male charged with assaulting an emergency worker on Sussex Uni campus

The police also confirmed a young female briefly escaped from a police vehicle after being arrested

A 19-year-old male has been arrested and charged with assaulting an emergency worker on Sussex University’s campus last Thursday after a gathering of around 60 people was reported by university security staff.

This follows the video which emerged and showed a police officer gripping a young male by the throat on Sussex University’s campus.

The video, posted on The Sussex Tab’s Insagram, shows a young male outside the East Slope residences being tackled by two police officers moments before one of them grips the male by his throat.

Full video avaliable on @the_sussex_tab

Sussex Police released a statement regarding last week’s events. They said: “We are aware of video footage being circulated after police were called by university security staff to reports of a gathering of around 60 people, in breach of the current coronavirus legislation, at the University of Sussex student accommodation in Falmer at 1:30am on Thursday 25 March.

“Upon arrival of the first two police officers, whilst the vast majority of the crown dispersed, a small group of individuals became hostile during which the two officers were assaulted. A 19-year-old man, seen dressed in a shirt with red paint, was arrested on suspicion of assaulting an emergency worker and using threatening behaviour. He was later charged with two accounts of assaulting a police officer and will appear in at court.

“A 20-year-old woman was arrested for breaching covid regulations and refusing to provide her details as required by law. She was placed in a police vehicle and, following a search, was further arrested on suspicion of a drugs offence. While the two officers were making the other arrest, the woman escaped the vehicle and when she returned to the group was subsequently re-apprehended. Following a discussion with the officers, where it was explained that she would be dealt by with way of a fine and not taken into custody if she gave her details, she did so and was de-arrested. The substance recovered will be sent for analysis.

“We understand concerns being raised by those viewing these short video clips but they do not show the full circumstance of the entire incident. Our officers will always seek to engage and encourage people to comply before moving to use lawful and proportionate force, as a last resort. We are liaising with the University of Sussex as to the circumstances and to provide reassurance that our priority remains the safety of the public, as well that of our officers and staff.”